Need a quick idea on how to frost choco cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I just made a couple of round chocolate cakes. I was unable to find any powdered sugar around here - living in a rural area in Taiwan. Does anyone have any suggestions for frosting it? I looked at a couple of recipes for using strawberry jam but they all require powdered sugar. I can find regular sugar, strawberries...actually quite a few things but not powdered sugar.

Any suggestions?

You can make a great frosting by mixing some cocoa and regular sugar with heavy cream (whipping) and letting it sit in the fridge until very cold. Whip it until soft peaks and spread on the cake. This must be kept refrigerated.

I guess the next question is can you get cream? Coconut cream would work well too.

Try a Fluffy Seven Minute frosting using granulated sugar and egg whites.

If you do a quick search you will see several recipes.

You could make a chocolate ganache or cover the cake with whipped cream and shavings of chocolate.

+1 I like the ganache idea. And you can use white chocolate and cream if you have the white chocolate available. Then, you can add cherry flavor to the ganache to make a classic chocolate with cherries. Of course you could use a standard chocolate ganache, which is one part dark chocolate, melted with an equal amount of heavy cream. With the white chocolate version, you can add any flavor you want to the ganache, such as bannanas, strawberry, shredded coconut, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

+1 I like the ganache idea. And you can use white chocolate and cream if you have the white chocolate available. Then, you can add cherry flavor to the ganache to make a classic chocolate with cherries. Of course you could use a standard chocolate ganache, which is one part dark chocolate, melted with an equal amount of heavy cream. With the white chocolate version, you can add any flavor you want to the ganache, such as bannanas, strawberry, shredded coconut, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

+1 here too. I would just add a hint of Kahlua to the ganache or baileys to the white chocolate cream :angel:

Back
Top Bottom