Need help altering recipe/pan size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrsjunecleaver

Assistant Cook
Below is a recipe from 25th. Anniversary Edition, "Christmas with Southern Living 2005! This cake is absolutely wonderful. But, my daughter wants to make "mini" loaf cakes to give as gifts, and I'm not quite sure how to divide the recipe? Should I change the baking time/temp? And what would change if I used All-Purpose flour instead of cake flour? Is there a baker in the house who could answer those questions?! Please?!!!! Thanks, June

Spiced Eggnog Pound Cake
Editor's Favorite

Cake flour gives this cake its light texture. For a splurge, serve cake with Creamy Eggnog Ice Cream.

Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 55 minutes
Other: 15 minutes

1 cup butter, softened
3 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup refrigerated or canned eggnog
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Powdered sugar
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon whipping cream

Generously grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan; set aside.

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer about 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

Combine flour, baking poweder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with 1 cup eggnog, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla and, if desired, brandy.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Stir cinnamon and next 3 ingredients into remaining batter. Spoon spice batter over plain batter. Swirl batters together, using a knife.

Bake at 350* for 50 to 55 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.

Place cake on a cake plate; dust with powdered sugar.

Combine 1 cup powdered sugar and whipping cream, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cake. Yield: 16 servings.

I would not change the temperature...but I would change the time. The mini cakes will probably take closer to 20 minutes. I have used all purpose flour in many cake recipes in place of cake flour...but I take about 2 tablespoons of flour out of each cup...so in this cake where it uses 3 cups cake flour...I would use 3 cups less 6 tablespoons. Other baker's should be along with their opinions!

Update!!

Well, it didn't go well.:( I filled the pans too full, and they ran over; took too long to bake; and looked horrible. The "up" side is, they taste great!! So, instead of giving them as gifts, we're going to cut them into cubes and make up an eggnog/white chocolate fondue, and serve them Friday night at our Christmas party!

I should have used a recipe that has baking powder as leavening, add the spices from this recipe, and perhaps replace some of the liquid with eggnog?

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom