Orange Poppyseed Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream*
2/3 cup poppy seeds
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp orange zest
2 tsp vanilla*
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp double acting baking powder*
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add sour cream, poppy seeds, orange juice, zest and vanilla. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and mix well.

Pour into a large buttered and floured tube pan (or two loaf pans) and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done. Let stand 5, invert onto a rack and let cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar.*

*Ok, these mark my changes. I used vanilla yogurt, so no sour cream or vanilla flavouring added. I used regular baking powder...just more as per crewsk instructions. Once cooled I glazed the cake with an icing sugar and lemon juice paste and drizzled it all over while the cake was still warm. Taste test not yet done as I am too full from lunch. Will taste with afternoon tea.

Welcome. I have another one I am trying out next week. Looks even easier. Calls for a lemon cake mix and vanilla instant pudding. I am not sure if I have those in the house right now so it will have to wait a week.

Thanks Alix for sharing the recipe. Sounds wonderful and I do hope you will let us know how you liked it. Also interested in the lemon. Wish I had slice right now. Cup of tea would go great. Enjoy.

OK...nice and moist. Dense without being "break your foot if you drop it dense". Goes nicely with some White China Tea. Mmmmmmmmmmm! If I could share with y'all I would. Better come quick though...kids get home in 20 minutes.

Well, now you did it. Have to make it soon as possible but you have to tell me White China Tea never heard of it. Or is the tea in white china? Sounds wonderful if that is the name. Who makes it? Do you add cream and sugar to the tea? I like to know what others prefer than I like to experience the same pleasure they do. Thanks and your children will love you for it. Brings back fond memories.

Alix, that cake sounds wonderful! My family is going to enjoy this one, too!

ITK, "white tea" is a misnomer, since it certainly isn't white. It's a brit brew, dark and almost sweet. But unlike most teas, it isn't "processed", but sun-dried and hand-picked. Loverly stuff with cream!

My China White tea is made by Stash. I got a lovely box of tea from a couple of friends as a pick me up, and I must say...it is SUCH a cool thing.

OK, being a bit of a geek, I make notes on all the new teas I try out. I wrote that this one has a lovely amber colour and is very mellow and a tiny bit sweet. It is almost a cross between a green and early black tea. There is no aftertaste at all. No bitterness either. I would highly recommend it. I never use milk or sugar, again...the purist geek thing...but I think it would go very well. This tea was my choice for this cake because it was less aggressive and I would be able to savour the orange flavour of the cake.

OK folks, now you now the true geekiness I hide from the world. ;)

I do hate to be a pain, but I checked the name Stash on Yahoo and now they have confused me with something called white and red fusion. Would you be specific in what I should order? I am sorry about details but I have ordered something on line before and when didn't like it what do you do? Thanks for understanding and since you are as you say 'geek' about teas I trust your advice. Thanks again

My tea says "Exotica China White Tea". I am at work right now, so I only have the tea bag. I will check the box for you when I get home in the morning and be more specific for you.

The ones I have especially enjoyed are the "Exotica" blends. I think if you search under that title you might have more luck.

http://shopstashtea.com/s08431.html

Hey...found the link with a picture. Good luck. You can likely browse in there for a while too.

Alix, got it thank you. I will place order as soon as I let you know i got the info. How many cups of tea you drink? Any coffee? I don't know if one is better for you healthwise than the other but I sure have to give up coffee for a while. I don't like to keep drinking one steady. Who knows how it affects you? I am glad you mentioned tea you like. Helps me make up my mind. I see so many in the stores and not knowing if people care for them. This is sure incentive to try it. Will let you know when I get it. Thanks again. Got any of your cake left? Did they all like it?

There is not much cake left. They loved it. I drink a lot of both coffee and tea. I usually do coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon. I have been reading that tea of all types has lots of good things for your body. If you want further ideas on what teas to pick I would love to chat with you about it. PM me if you like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom