Ozzie Chocolate Beet (Beetroot) Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
From my Ozzie sister-in-law.

Ingredients:
2 cups beets blended to a smooth consistency
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil (olive or vegetable)
4 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Directions:
Mix together sugar,oil and eggs. Sift flour,soda,salt and cocoa. Add alternately with blended beetroot and vanilla. Place in greased prepared tin (large tin) Bake at 325 F for 45 to 60 mins

Yum!!! Thanks for posting that, I was in search of a good chocolate beetroot cake recipe, most of them use tinned beets. I'll make this tomorrow! For those of you who have never tried it, chocolate beetroot cake is heavenly!!!

Is there a difference between beetroot and beet? We can get fresh beets and tinned ones, but I don't believe I've ever seen anything labeled beetroot.

p.s. SIL says this is the moistest cake ever

We call this one Maritimers Chocolate Cake, only we add 3/4 tsp peppermint extract to it. YUM! My mom makes it for my birthday every year.

G'day Mudbug,

Susie read at your recipe, looked at me and said "NO"!!! Particularly after last nights attempt at a cake - a simple vanilla cake - I'll write a post on that with some questions.

Shouldn't it be called the "Pregnant Woman's Cake"?

I love beets & chocolate but never heard of them together. Probably like cheese & vegemite. :LOL:

This'll be my first transgression when I can bake cakes. Can't say how long that'll be, took long enough to be able to string bread successes together. :)

Brooksy

Brooksy said:
G'day Mudbug,
I love beets & chocolate but never heard of them together. Probably like cheese & vegemite. :LOL:
Brooksy

My mum used to to give me Vegemite and lettuce sandwiches for school lunch. YUK! By the time lunch hour arrived the lettuce had sweated or fermented, I am not sure which. I was always supplying the garbage tiin with lunch.

I can't imagine all that beetroot mushed up with 1 1/2 cups of oil , 4 eggs AND 2 cups of sugar. I am probably 100% wrong but at first sights it looks a rather sloppy mix. but I notice no other liquid so probably OK. The two cups of sugar is probably to counter the two tsp salt.
As soon as someone gives it a go I hope they post a result. I like the Beetroot bit as it is choccers with goodies for the human body.

g'day Brooksy. glad to see you came in off the track to report on your trials. can't tell you a thing about this beetroot cake-just cobbed it off the old family website - never made it, never ate it, but SIL made it for some of the other sibbies, who loved it. Let me know if you attempt it and how it turns out.

I have made it and eaten it and let me tell you it is the moistest, heaviest, most delicious chocolate cake EVER. Don't let the ingredients fool you, it ROCKS!

Beetroot and beets is the same thing. Canned beetroot will be just fine.
I am gonna do this at the weekend, ran out of time this week!

It works!!!! Trust me!!!! It's even better than chocolate zucchini cake!!!! but only just!!!!

This cake is the absolute best: I had a choc beet cake for my 21st birthday, and it was a hit!! also on top was the best ganache i have ever tasted[/i]

OK, that tears it. Too many good reviews.

I'm making this today (cold and rainy here) and I'm NOT tellin the others what's in it.

It sounds like Devil's Food Cake, which also uses beet root. I made a similar cake a few weeks ago, with the beet roots and everything, and I was totally disappointed, because it was completely tasteless. I hope your recipe is better than mine :)

"Is there a difference between beetroot and beet? We can get fresh beets and tinned ones, but I don't believe I've ever seen anything labeled beetroot."

A fresh beet is a beetroot. They come attached to the stem in fancy grocery stores. Just cut off the greens, wash the roots, and toss them in the cuisinart, and oila, grated beet root. In cakes like these, their prime purpose is to provide coloring, as you'll note they have a deep purple color.

Wow - could this take the place of a traditional 'red velvet' cake? I love that cake, but it skeeves me just a little to use that much 'red dye #-whatever it is'!

Hmmm... Hang on... Ok, I can't find any confirmation on the color thing. My assumption that the beets are purely for color is just an assumption. Still, it makes sense; what else could they be for?

Sorry Kyles.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt since I never heard of such a cake before. I doubt I could even get beet root in my area.

But, thinking about it, I bet I cook some things you are unfamiliar with also.

I apologize.

Back
Top Bottom