Pantry or Depression Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I was cleaning out a recipe drawer and came across this one that my grandmother use to make, She used to call it depression era cake and then later on she called it pantry cake as it had all the items she had in her pantry.

Pantry Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 cup cold water
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium size bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and coarse salt.
Make a well in center of flour mixture and add vegetable oil, pure vanilla extract, white vinegar, and cold water. Whisk until well combined.
Bake in a 8 square pan until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost with you favorite frosting.

I love to make chocolate cakes to.
But mine is a bit different from yours. But almost similar with your pantry cake but its mostly made with chocolate flavor.

I love to make chocolate cakes to.
But mine is a bit different from yours. But almost similar with your pantry cake but its mostly made with chocolate flavor.

Made with chocolate flavour?

Or it's a chocolate cake? The pantry cake is chocolate. It has cocoa, so does mine.

letscook and taxlady ... both your recipes sound really good and easy. I love these old-timely recipes. I know I'll be trying both of them soon. You can never have too much chocolate cake. Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom