Persimmons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I thought I asked about persimmons last year. Tried to find the recipes but just wondered if someone ever fixed dessert or used persimmons? My brother figures if they are free should recycle them someway rather than just eating off the tree. I have over a gallon that I have to clean, remove the seeds and get ready to prepare. I don't think people really care for them in large quantity. It isn't bad enough he likes eggplant all the time now I have these to think about. Always try to give me some kind of challenge. As long as I do the fixing. I don't mind regular things but this is like preparing turkey at Thanksgiving. Has to have special attention, or at least I think so. Thanks. Do I sound upset?

I've never prepared them in a recipe, but have seen several. I always eat mine up before they can get in a dish.

I have never eaten persimmons, but our deer love them, so I don't feel they are going to waste. The old timers tell me they taste best after frost. They also say you can predict what kind of winter you're going to have by cutting open the seed. If the coloration in the center looks like a little spoon, you're going to have a lot of snow. If it looks like a fork, it's going to be cold and dry.

This is a recipe from Aunt Bea's Mayberry Cookbook.

Hickory Holler Persimmon Pudding.

2 cups persimmon pulp
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup half and half
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine the persimmon pulp, sugar, and eggs. In a separate bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder. In a small bowl, combine the half and half with the buttermilk, and add the baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the persimmon mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture, stirring well after each addition.

Place the butter in a 9x13 caker pan and place in a 325 oven until melted. Using a pastry brush, coat the sides of the pan. Pour the excess butter into the batter. Add the cinnamon and vanilla, and mix well. Pour into the pan. Bake in a 325 oven for 1 hour, or until a table knife inserted in the center comes out clean. The pudding will puff up and then flatten as it cooks.

*variations: add nuts, raisins, or coconut before baking.
Serves 12

Geez!

You people sure don't miss anything! My brother will be impressed and it takes pretty much for him to get that way. Now he will know I have no excuse. I don't think he gave me enough persimmons to try all the ideas here. I am going to print your responses so he can study them and let me know which one to try. Now he never will sit down here and read them. NO I have to hand them to him as with almost everything. Since I have only these men to please I think they are all like that. I often wonder why they don't want to get married. Probably not find someone who is fool with them. Women are smart. Have come long way.

I thank you all and as I said this just shocked me with all the different ideas. Even tell the weather with these things. You all impressed me. Only shows how much we need one another and I do appreciate.

Back
Top Bottom