Pillsbury Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
Pillsbury used to make a Chocolate Coconut Bundt cake mix. I am talking years ago! My mom used to make it and I just found out how much my sister and her liked it. I found a recipe for this type of cake on the forum - posted by Dina - thank you very much:) ! However, neither my mom nor sister will make a cake from scratch. Does anyone know of a boxed cake like this? BTW, I plan on making Dina's cake this weekend!

I have not made this recipe, but it sounds like what you are looking for.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Bundt Cake

Filling
2 egg whites
½ cup white sugar
2 cups flaked coconut, ground into small pieces
2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
2 teasoons of vanilla extract
Cake...
1 (18.25-ounce) box chocolate cake mix
1 (4-serving size) package chocolate instant pudding
2 egg yolks
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
vanilla glaze (below)

Vanilla Glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons of milk
1/8 teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon of butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour bundt cake pan.
1. Beat egg whites until peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut, flour and vanilla. Set aside.
2. Combine cake mix, instant pudding mix, 2 yolks, 2 eggs, water, and oil in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan. Spoon in coconut mixture and top with remaining batter.
3. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Remove to wire rack, and cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool thoroughly, and top with glaze.
4. Melt butter. Mix all ingredients together, top cake.

question about macaroon choc cake

Hi there, Do you have the macaroon cake recipe from Dina? If so would you tell me where to get it or share it? Did you try it? New to the site.
Thanks Charlotte

Welcome to the site Charlotte! I made the above recipe posted from Sierra Cook - it is wonderful!!! I highly suggest you try it! If you have any questions, ask away!

Hi there, Do you have the macaroon cake recipe from Dina? If so would you tell me where to get it or share it? Did you try it? New to the site.
Thanks Charlotte

Choja, welcome to DC. Personally, I do not like boxed cake mixes, so this one I truly appreciate and enjoy. Have made this one but not the one posted by SierraCook, with the box mix. Here is the recipe you are asking about:

Chocolate Macaroon Bundt Cake
  • 1 egg white, reserving yolk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1-3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 reserved egg yolk
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 3-4 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10" bundt pan (nonstick too) and set aside.
In small bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.

Fold in coconut, 1 Tbsp. flour, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Set aside. In large bowl, place 2 cups flour, 1-3/4 cups sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda, 2 tsp. vanilla, 3 eggs, 1 egg yolk, water, butter, and sour cream. With same beaters, mix batter on low until combined, then beat on medium high for 3 minutes.

Pour half of cake batter into prepared pan. Drop coconut filling by teaspoons in the center of the batter, keeping the filling away from the edges of the pan. Cover filling with remaining cake batter.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes until cake is set, edges start pulling away from pan, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then loosen edges and invert cake onto serving plate. Cool completely.
For chocolate glaze, in medium saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder, milk, and vanilla. Remove from heat, and beat with wire whisk until blended and creamy. Add more milk or powdered sugar, as needed, to reach desired spreading consistency. Frost cake. Store covered at room temperature. 12 servings

Thank you both for the recipes! I'll try them both and let you know what I think! Thanks again.

Charlotte:)

Folks, thanks for supplying these recipes for this cake. I too am one of those that LOVED this cake years ago when it was made in a box. I was in college at the time when I made this cake ALL the time. It was one of my favorites as I am a big coconut lover and for a box cake it was VERY good. I've never come across a recipe before that claimed to be a replica of the boxed one so I am grateful for these. In fact I had a cleaning lady for years and we would talk about this cake. I have never been able to figure out why this was taken off the market. I understand the cake was based on one of the winning recipes at the Bake-Off and it was a hit. The fact that a company removed such a popular item from their line wasn't a very smart move in my eyes. They also had several other bundt cake mixes but this was my favorite. I think one of them was a lemon poppy seed cake. Bundt cakes are on the rise again in popularity as they are usually pretty fast and easy so I would suggest the cake companies rethink bringing this back. One of the companies also used to make these small cakes you could bake in the enclosed little paper cake pan and they included the frosting premade in the box. They were wonderful for the college student. I used to make those all the time also. They were just the perfect size for a single person, they still would be and I'd love to see them back. There are times when just a small little cake with a few pieces is all you want to make. That's another one that the cake companies need to return to the market.

The last time i made sometlhing like that, i baked it in small tins so it was like a twinkie !!!! I keep them insand. bags in the freezer for a special treat; ;they're awesome !!!

Back
Top Bottom