Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (Variation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdtractorgirl

Assistant Cook
2 cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
1 – 20 oz. can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
½ cup brown sugar (don’t mix in cake)
1 teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt

Topping:

1 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
1 cup sugar
1 stick margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix by hand the flour, sugar, soda, and salt. Add pineapple and mix well. Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 inch pan. Cover with brown sugar and pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Boil topping for 4 to 5 minutes. Pour over cooled cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how that's "upside down." Usually I put the goo (brown sugar, nuts, butter, pineapple juice) in the pan first and then pour the batter over it and turn it out after baking.

I do the same, mudbug, and am experimenting how I can make miniature individual ones for a wedding tea in mini muffin tins with pineapple tidbits (pizza cut so they are tiny) and 1/4 maraschino cherries.

It is the presentation of the PUD mini cakes I am working on!

It is good to see you around, Mudbug!:flowers:

Last edited:
Oh, I am getting good with times as with all my catering I have learned to make "little things"....and big ones as in wedding cakes LOL!

Oh, don't call me a pro, people will get the idea I know something about cooking! LOL. I just love what I do 'cause I get to play with my food!

so how is this one considered upside down if you have to broil as well as bake?

I don't get it & i'm way over 50!

Well, I agree with the non-upside down part, but it does sound like a delicious pineapple cake and I am going to give it a try.

My mother made me on off these PUD cakes for my birthday for decades. She lined the bottom of a cast iron pan with pinapple rings. In the middle of each ring was a maraschino cherry. I don't have her recipe, and she is no longer with us. But this cake was delicious. It had a razor sharp crust from lots of brown sugar I guess. When it was turned over it was also gorgeous just to look at. RIP Mom.

I think you may have misread a word. It's not "broil," but "boil." The topping is boiled before it's poured over the cake.

Ok i misspelled a word,

but the whole point of an upside down cake is............
after it's done cooking in the oven and removed all you should have to do is place a platter over the top of the cake pan and turn it over to remove it & serve, not have to mess with any toppings:rolleyes:

Yes, that is what I remember, too. God those cakes were so moist, sweet and just plain delicious. I have never been able to duplicate them, although I try and try.

Does anyone out there know how to make that bottom (was the top) a thick, hard almost hard-candy like consistency?

Guys ---- this is a variation on a pineapple upside down cake. I'm sorry I didn't put that in the title. It has obviously been a source of irritation for some. Rather than critiquing the title, try the recipe. It's a great variation of the pineapple upside down cake.

Sweetened condensed

So you are using sweetened condensed milk which is 60% sugar to start with and then adding 1 cup of more sugar to the topping?

Are you sure about that?

With 1 1/2 cup of sugar in the batter and 1/2 cup brown sugar?

That sounds waaay too sweet.

Last edited:
Early on in the postings, the OP said it was a "Variation" of the traditional upside down cake.
This looks to have the taste of an upside down cake, without the bother of turning it upside down on a different platter. Yes it is a different, hence the use of the word "variation" in posting #8.

I suspect the directions are lacking. I'd guess the cake gets turned over and the topping goes on top after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom