REC-Chocolate Pound Cake(TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
I made this last night & over half of it is already gone!! Looks like I'm going to need to break out the tennis shoes & start walking it off.:LOL: Just don't make the mistake I made though. My dishwasher is next to the oven & I forgot to turn it off when I put the cake in & it fell.:rolleyes: Oh well, it still tastes good!

1C butter or margarine, softened
1C. shortening
3C. sugar
5 large eggs
3C. all purpose flour
1/2tsp. baking powder
1/2tsp. salt
1/4C. cocoa
1C. milk
1Tbsp. vanilla extract

Beat butter & shortenig in large mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy(about 2 minutes). Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

Combine flour & next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning & ending with flour. Mix at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla(I added my vanilla to the milk so I wouldn't have to stir it in). Pour batter into a greased & floured 10 inch tube pan.

Bake at 325F for 1 hour & 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10-15 minutes; remove cake from pan & let cool completely on wire rack. Yield: 1(10 inch) cake.

From: Southern Living Annual Recipes 20th Anniversary Edition
Recipe by: Louise Floyd, West Selma, Alabama

YUM YUM! Thanks a bunch crewsk. This will hit the spot today.

Hey, tube pan...bundt pan? Does it matter?

Last edited:
I don't think it matters at all Alix. I used a bundt pan because I couldn't find my tube pan.:blush: The cake has that real crunchy top(well bottom when you take it out of the pan)that is perfect for dipping in milk!!:D

OK, I have assembled ingredients and need to run out for more eggs. I really don't want to do that today so this baby might not get done til tomorrow. I can hardly wait though! Thanks again crewsk.

that cake looks simple and yummy,and i have all the ingredients,except cocoa,i'm going to walmart tomorrow ,so that will be taken care of,your:) cake is next on my list crewsk! thanx 4 posting the recipe!

Minus the cocoa powder

Hello,
I am new to the site. I see these are old posts so I hope someone can respond.

I have been baking this recipe ever since it appeared in the Southern Living 1994 magazine! It’s fabulous and I always get high compliments so thank you for the recipe!!

I was wondering: if I eliminated the cocoa powder to get a vanilla version, would that work?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new to the site. I see these are old posts so I hope someone can respond.

I have been baking this recipe ever since it appeared in the Southern Living 1994 magazine! It’s fabulous and I always get high compliments so thank you for the recipe!!

I was wondering: if I eliminated the cocoa powder to get a vanilla version, would that work?

Thank you!

IMO it would be fine.

When I read the recipe my first thought was to make a marble cake.

Omit the cocoa and flavor the batter with a shot of rum or cognac. Put two-thirds of the batter into the prepared cake pan. Stir the cocoa into the remaining batter and plop it into the pan, swirl with a knife, and bake as directed.

Wow, such an amazing recipe. I loved the recipe, even more, when I come to know that ingredients are easily available. Looking forward to making this soon.

Back
Top Bottom