Red coloring in white chocolate cake covering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovliebutterfly

Assistant Cook
Has anyone ever tried adding color to white chocolate cake covering? There's one of my colleagues birthday next week and I have been assigned to bake the cake!
Since he's very fond of Japanese culture, we've decided to have a Japanese theme for his cake. He also like milk chocolate a lot. So I'm going to make a square chocolate cake with white chocolate cake covering and a red circle centre to make it look like the Japanese flag. Although I know it's not very original (any ideas would be welcomed!!!). So, I was thinking of coloring the white chocolate cake covering red. Will that work?

Here's a thought:
If you want to really make it look like a precision "work of art", you may want to try rolling out fondant (white), covering the cake in it, then mix a lot of red colorant into the remaining fondant, rolling it out and cutting it into a perfect circle. Spread a bit of jelly to adhere it to the white and you have a perfect flag!

**here's a site that will show you a few pointers:
Click here: Covering the Cake - Pattycakes Decorating Guides

That seems to be a good idea and much easier to control. I have never tried using fondant before. I hope it does not turn out into a disaster for my first time...:ermm:

Let us know!

I hope you'll let us know how that goes...I've never used fondant before either, but I have always wanted to try.

The very first time I tried it, it was about a dozen years ago...and for my mother in law's birthday! It was easier than I'd thought. However, instead of putting a buttercream on before the fondant, I spread a layer of orange marmalade all over the cake's surface for "glue". It was delicious!

Oh do you need to have something to glue it ? I would have just omitted the buttercream icing. Now you mentioned the marmalade, I guess I need to have something in between the cake and the fondant. I am not too sure about how they call fondant here in England. Is it the same as Marzipan? Or I've seen Ready to roll icing. Not too sure...

Back
Top Bottom