Red Velvet cake help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StaySexyMuah!

Assistant Cook
Hello. I am new here. I thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas on how to make this cake. My friends Aunt made this red velvet cake that had the cream cheese frosting. Sounds simple right? Well here is the problem.... the cake itself was very moist and had gooey areas in it. Not straight across as if she cut the cake and added pie filling. Just here and there areas. Like one fork full you get gooey next one you don't like that. It was really good. I was 21 then now I am 31. I have been looking for a recipe like this. I asked if I could have the recipe and her Aunt said no. I even offered her $200 dollars for it! I wanted it badly for my future wedding cake when I met the man of my dreams lol. Asked her to make it for me for my birthday or if I get married and she said no :( I guess she figured if I tried it again I would be able to figure it out. I never was able to try it again. Since then I have found the right man, but sadly still have not been able to recreate this recipe. I have tried raspberry jam after the cake is baked its not that. I have tried putting a couple spoon fills here and there of cherry pie filling before baking it never seems like I added any pie filling. I don't know if she used a box mix or made from scratch. I don't know if pudding would work or maybe pie filling some way I have not tried yet? Maybe custard? Anyone have any ideas?

Could it have been jello? I've done cakes where you poke holes in the cake and pour jello over it and it seeps down the holes into the cake. I've never heard of gooey parts in Red Velvet cake before so don't really know. Maybe something "went wrong" in a good way and she didn't know how to tell you to do it! I've had wonderful surprise dishes that got screwed up somehow from the original but tasted great and also impossible to recreate. Sorry I can't be of more help. There are lots of good bakers here. I hope one of them will answer you better than I have.

BTW welcome to DC!

Though I can't give you her cake, I can offer a great substitute. A red vevlet cake is a chocolate cake that has either had vinegar added to the recipe, which reacts with the cocoa to make it red, or has red food coloring added. I have a chocolate mayonaise recipe that makes a truly wonderful cake. Add red food coloring to it and you would have a very moist and flavorful red velvet cake. But to give you something special, I would sugest that it be made in a stainless steel bowl, greased and floured, to make a dome shaped cake when inverted. Bake it at a higher than normal temperature and remove from the oven before the cake is cooked through. The effect is an outer cake crust, an inch or two deep, with an unbaked, but hot filling that flows our when the cake is cue, in short, a volcano cake. I choose the choclolate mayonaise cake as it has no raw egg in the recipe, and so is safe to eat undercooked. The result is pretty dramtic, and tasty. This cake can have, but doesn't need a frosting.

Here's the recipe for the cake;
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

Sift together:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons dark cocoa (make sue it isn't dutched chocolate or it won't rise properly)

Blend together and add to above
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup water
Red food coloring to the desired depth of color

Preheat the oven to 425' F.
Whisk together the two sets of ingrediants to make smooth batter. Pour the batter into a greased and floured suitably sized stainless steel mixing bowl. Lightly tap the bowl to level the batter and elliminate any air pockets.

Bake for 2o to 25 minutes, so that a layer of cake is formed, but the center is still a batter consistancy. Check this by inserting a clean butter knife half way through the cake, and observing how deep the cooked cake layer is compared to the coated part of the knife (the cooked part will leave no cake on the knife).

Remove the cake when done, and invert onto a suitable dish. Let cool completely before covering with frosting/icing.

Superior Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
3 cups Powdered Sugar
½ cup sweet-cream, unsalted Butter
16 oz. Cream Cheese

Melt butter. Add the cream cheese and stir with wire whisk, or beat with electric beater until well combined and smooth.

Make a simple syrup of the powdered sugar and ¾ cup of water. Heat until the sugar is completely dissoved. By making a syrup, the frosting will be silky smooth, with absolutely no graininess.

Again turn on the mixer and slowly drizzle the syrup into the butter, cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

This frosting is easily spread at room temperature. Its rich taste compliments spice, choclate, and carrot cakes, and can be used to fill puff pastry, bismarks, or Danish pastry. Personally, I like it chilled on whatever it’s put on. The texture is great either way. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Have you ever given it a thought, that her oven didn't cook evenly or that she undercooked the cake???
Perhaps she put small chunks of banana in the cake. I have never had or made a Red Velvet that was that way if she used the regular recipe. Hmmm, I can't imagine not sharing a recipe (they are almost all in the internet, anyway). It is an honor to be asked. Many of us just do little things that make our recipes different. We beat it more or less. We use a Kithenaid Mixer or hand mixer. It really changes cookies or cakes.

Thank you all for getting back to me!

Thank you so much everyone for writing me and giving me ideas! Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Yes I was very sad she would not give the recipe. She told me she does not share her recipes which was sad. I love sharing so I was really dissapointed to hear that from someone. I have only had her and another woman not give me a recipe. Ofcourse they would be for the two recipes I just had to have lol! Normally people want to share. Well anyway with all of your help I am sure I will find something close if not better than hers!

Ok first....

What type or flavor of jello should I use? Will it make the cake taste different? How much do I use?

Thank you for your recipe I am going to try it! It sounds really yummy! My family LOVES Gooey cakes so this will be right up our alley!

It is an idea that she underbaked it, but I did not think so since the cake was fluffy. Then areas here and there were gooey, not just an all around gooey. Normally when I underbake something it is a little stuck together if you know what I mean? When you fully cook a cake it normally comes out bouncy and fluffy. When I undercook one it has not risen as high and is more gooey all around. Unless there is a certain way to undercook cakes? I could be doing it wrong lol. I would be happy to try if you have an idea how to properly undercook a cake where it is still bouncy, but gooey.

I was thinking she made a mistake like all of you thought, but I guess it is her special cake she makes all the time for family get togethers. I just really think she did not want to share.

Thank you all again. If anyone has any other ideas be sure to add them! I will try them all! If it works I will let you know what I did so you can try it! Then we can spread the word on a gooey red velvet cake lol!

Boy my husband is going to love this, trying different cakes. I don't think my waist is going to lol! Thank you all again it is really kind of you to try to help me. This really means a lot to me.

forgot to mention

I can try banana, but I don't think she used a banana. I did not taste banana at all. I know she had cream cheese frosting on it so I would imagine the cake came out of the fridge, but by the time I had a piece it was room temperature. Hope that helps!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

2 crazy ideas:

1. Place chunks of chocolate in random places in the batter, after it's poured into the cake pan. Your batter will need to be thicker than usual.

2. Place ice cubes randomly in the batter, again in a batter thick enough to hold the cubes in place. That might make selected areas gooey and undercooked while allowing the main cake to cook normally.

Don't know if either will work, but they both seem reasonable to try.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Its likely that when she "creamed" the butter and sugar together there were butter bits that didn't get creamed. You could try making this recipe with cold butter and that will give you bits that aren't creamed well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom