Red velvet cupcakes need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erny

Assistant Cook
i'm new in this forum and also trying to learn to bake..so, i have a problem with this recipe. i've learned that in this recipe, they using a liquid butter milk. but once i asked for this liquid butter milk in the market, they just gave me a butter milk powder.
the quantity in the recipe is measured by ml.. :ohmy:
so, how can i measure using a powder? can i add some water to the powder to make it liquid? :ermm:
is it okay for the cupcake later?

Where are you located? Buttermilk should be readily available in most markets.

If I had to go by a powder recipe, I would make the buttermilk via the directions, and then measure the liquid form as per the recipe.

Welcome to DC!

1/2 cup (64 g) of powder to one cup (240 ml) of water will reconstitute it.

i'm from borneo. in the recipe i'd learn, the measure of the butter milk is 1/2 cup (120ml). how can i get the same measurement? in borneo the market is too limited. they imported the ingredient, so it really hard to fine the same ingredient.

Where are you located? Buttermilk should be readily available in most markets.

If I had to go by a powder recipe, I would make the buttermilk via the directions, and then measure the liquid form as per the recipe.

Not here in the northern states except for holiday time. The further south you go, the more readily available it becomes year round. :)

Yes Southerner here. I thought buttermilk was a staple for baking like flour & sugar. Definitely reconstituted then measured is the way to go. I found this thread a little late. Have you tried the recipe with it reconstituted yet?

Not here in the northern states except for holiday time. The further south you go, the more readily available it becomes year round. :)

Even more strange as a LOT of the nations dairy farms are in the North eastern part of the US. There are loads of buttery manufactures, and buttermilk is simply a byproduct. It's not even that hard to make. . .and the homemade butter is an even BETTER byproduct!

Welcome to DC. Re: availability of buttermilk, in the Midwest, buttermilk is still readily available--I buy 1/2 gal. containers of it when I'm in MN for less than I can buy the equivalent of 1 qt here in SE Ontario. In my family, we drink it. I like it with freshly ground pepper and lime zest on top. (But then, I add red wine vinegar or ACV to water or seltzer). I've noticed that it is getting increasingly difficult to find--not all stores carry it. I LOVE buttermilk--wish I could get the kind of buttermilk we used to get from the farm, I haven't checked the organic section or the health food stores, But now that I'm almost back in the City, my options for grocery and specialty items will be more diverse. I use the powdered buttermilk for baking all the time. It works. In a pinch, you can "sour" milk with vinegar or lemon juice and substitute that.

The "buttermilk" that we get here isn't really buttermilk. It's a cultured milk product. It costs over $2/litre (that's over $2/quart too). I just add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to a cup measure and add milk to make a cup. Buttermilk powder is really expensive too.

9 times out of 10 when a recipe calls for buttermilk, I just sour some milk. 1 tablespoon vinegar per 1 cup milk (measure the vinegar into the cup, and fill to the 1 cup measure with milk, so you don't end up with an extra tablespoon of liquid per cup).

Back
Top Bottom