Rhubarb Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebunny

Executive Chef
Simply Scrumptious Rhubarb Cake

Preheat oven to 350F(175C). Grease and flour a 9X13 pan(for deeper cake use slightly smaller pan, you may have to increase baking time by 5 min.)

1 C. sugar
1/2 C. butter
1 lg. egg
1 tsp. vanilla
4 C. diced rhubarb(I like 3/4 x 3/4 chunks, I like to see the rhubarb in the cake)

2 1/8 C. AP Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1 C. buttermilk
1/2 C. flaked coconut(optional)
1/2 C. finely chopped almonds(optional)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Streusel Topping

1/4 C. each butter, brown sugar, and flour stirred together until crumbly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the egg and add vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, just until all is moist. Fold in the rhubarb. Fold in the coconut and almonds if using. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with Streusel Topping. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool. Serve with Vanilla Sauce if desired. (we found the cake sweet enough without the sauce):)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vanilla Sauce
1/2 C. butter
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. evaporated milk
1tsp. vanilla
Melt butter in saucepan, add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickend. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Serve with cake.

My neighbour has just given my a load of Rhubarb, thanks bunny I will make your recipe tomorrow.

I like rhubarb better than most berries! And I try to keep some in the freezer at all times.

This cake (and I'm not normally a cake baker) is definitely on my list of things to try this next month!

I like rhubarb better than most berries! And I try to keep some in the freezer at all times.

This cake (and I'm not normally a cake baker) is definitely on my list of things to try this next month!

Selkie, I am not normally a cake baker either, nor do I like to eat cake much. I am more of a savory type person. Better than being unsavory :LOL: Anyway this cake is fool proof and can be used as dessert or coffee cake or even breakfast. It' a great use of rhubarb.

Selkie, I am not normally a cake baker either, nor do I like to eat cake much. I am more of a savory type person. Better than being unsavory :LOL: Anyway this cake is fool proof and can be used as dessert or coffee cake or even breakfast. It' a great use of rhubarb.

I just sprayed coffee on the computer...:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom