Shaped whoopie pies??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

channy3232

Assistant Cook
Hello! Newbie here! Hoping to get some help. I'm throwing a "puppy shower" for my SIS in law that just got a new puppy and will probably never have kids. She loves whoopie pies. We live in south central pa so we have grown up with real Amish whoopie pies. I wanted to make them dog bone shaped. I have a cookie cutter but I'm wondering if I should bake a shallow cake and cut them after or pipe the batter onto parchment into bone shapes. I've sen heart, egg and bunny pans specifically made for whoopie pies (I hate how theyre all trendy now! Lol) any tips or ideas? I'm not a very experienced baker.

What a fun idea. I would take a heavy duty zip lock bagg and cut out a tip in a corner and Pipe the dough onto parchment as you say. Depending on your recipe, the dough may expand as it bakes, so make them smaller than how you want them to end up. Maybe you could make a couple "test" ones before putting a full pan in the oven.

Another idea may be to serve puppy chow (chex mix). google for recipe. And-- make a bag of home made puppy treats for the new puppy too.

Thank you both very much! I might have to do a test run and pipe them. I did read in a recipe for regular round whoopie pies to take a round biscuit cutter and dip it in cocoa powder and make templates on the parchment. I'm thinking thats what I'll do with the bone cutter. If that doesn't work, I'll just bake a shallow cake lol
If that doesn't work, I'm just baking a regular cake :)
I think I am going to make puppy chow and serve it in a dog bowl (a stainless steep one that I have run through the dishwasher) and I was thinking of cutting finger sandwiches into bone shapes too :)

Welcome to DC! I have a fire hydrant cookie cutter...there are also specialty breed cookie cutters available on the web. I have several of those...

If you do a little googling you will see many dog bone shaped baking pans for large and small (individual) bones. The large thin cake sounds like the best quick alternative. I would also consider an oatmeal cookie using the cookie cutter, think Little Debbie, with the cream filling. They would have a dog bone texture.

Or if there is a large chain pet store near you, take a look there for animal related cookie cutters. Good luck with your endeavor. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom