Shelf Life of Royal Icing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I forgot to also add, if I put it in the fridge for later use, does this make it last longer, before it goes bad?

Shelf life of Royal Icing

HTC....If you use Wilton Meringue Powder to make your icing I know that it has at least a 3 month shelf life and some would claim a year. The reason is that it is essentially powdered egg whites and for you to make the same recipe at home you would be using raw eggs and raw egg whites. Therefore you can extend your shelf life using this product. If you do not keep this product cool and covered it will get very hard, quickly! So check your Wilton supplier and they will give you the "official" shelf life. Pst :D

Royal icing will keep in your refrigerator for up to one week. To keep it from solidifying, pour a layer of water into the container on top of the icing. However, since it is nothing but powdered sugar, cream of tartar, and egg white mixed together, why bother making it in advance? It should take all of five minutes to prepare.

The cleaner you are, the longer it will last. In other words, if you do a Paula Deen and stick your fingers in it or double dip your tasting spoon, it won't last long at all.

I wouldn't keep royal icing for more than a week.

Thanks for the advice. Not really a matter of making in advance, just thinking about what I can do with the icing if I have left over... :D

HTC....If you use Wilton Meringue Powder to make your icing I know that it has at least a 3 month shelf life and some would claim a year. The reason is that it is essentially powdered egg whites and for you to make the same recipe at home you would be using raw eggs and raw egg whites. Therefore you can extend your shelf life using this product. If you do not keep this product cool and covered it will get very hard, quickly! So check your Wilton supplier and they will give you the "official" shelf life. Pst :D

What if the canister has never been opened? I don't know when I bought mine, however when I contacted Wilton today and talked to a representative and gave him some code numbers which was on a yellow sticker on top of the can, he seemed to think it was over two years old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom