Silent auction cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I'm making a cake for a silent auction on Friday. This is a new recipe to me but so far, the outcome is :censored: I followed the recipe and the "cake" is like a cracker. It's a fairly simple recipe. Melt choc & butter, set aside to cool to a soft butter consistency. Whip egg yolks with sugar until tripled in volume and fold into choc. Whip whites with sugar until stiff peaks & fold into choc mixture in 4 parts, until no traces of white can be seen. Bake 20 minutes in a quarter sheet pan. She said the cake should rise above the pan but mine came out all wavy.:mad: She said to be careful not to overmix and loose volume and I thought I was careful enough, could this have been the problem? Then she says to stick it in the fridge until well chilled, could this do something to the texture? Is that why it's harder?

Do I dare try again, or find something else? Any ideas on what I could make? Something that looks pretty but doesn't necessarily have to taste fabulous.

That is a flourless cake that rises and falls as you discribe. I've never had one that stayed high like one with flour. Is it possible your pan is too large? I make it in a spring form pan, water bath for about an hour or more at low temp. I copied on from this forum about a week ago.

Without seeing the exact ingredients in your recipe, I'd say maybe the egg whites were beaten too much, making more of a meringue?

Swann said:
That is a flourless cake that rises and falls as you discribe. I've never had one that stayed high like one with flour. Is it possible your pan is too large? I make it in a spring form pan, water bath for about an hour or more at low temp. I copied on from this forum about a week ago.
Could be the pan, it's a quarter sheet pan she calls for. I think it's like 9x17 or something like that. Parts of the cake were dense but taste good but other parts of the cake was like a cracker.
marmalady said:
Without seeing the exact ingredients in your recipe, I'd say maybe the egg whites were beaten too much, making more of a meringue?
Don't know. The recipe said "stiff & creamy" and they were. when I pulled the beaters out they were stiff but did curl at the top. That's not overwhipped, is it?

I opted to make a double chocolate torte instead. I've made it many times and have the recipe down well. I'll post the recipe in the next few days. It's good! I wish I was making it for us! I have to make another dessert for next weekend I might try the flopped one again. Thanks to both of you! I'll keep the suggestions in mind when I make it next week.

Back
Top Bottom