Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Cake--TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Crewsk originally posted this recipe and I made it for our company last night. It was SO good! I have a large crock pot so I actually doubled the recipe and it turned out great. As I mixed the ingredients it dawned on me that this is pretty darn healthy too, as desserts go--only 2 Tbsp oil and no other fat!

I served it with a choice of vanilla or espresso chunk ice cream and fresh whipped cream topped with grated chocolate. Yum!

Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Sundae Cake

Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 3hrs. 25min.
Prep: 15min.
Cook: 2hrs. 30min.
Cool: 40min.
(Total time will vary with appliance & setting)

1C. all purpose flour
1/2C. granulated sugar
2Tbsp. baking cocoa
2tsp. baking powder
1/2tsp. salt
1/2C. milk
2Tbsp. vegetable oil
1tsp. vanilla
1/2C. chopped nuts(optional)
3/4C. packed brown sugar
1/4C. baking cocoa
1 1/2C. hot water

Spray inside of 2 to 3 1/2 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2Tbsp. cocoa, baking powder, & salt in a medium bowl. Stir in milk, oil, & vanilla until smooth. Stir in nuts. Spread batter evenly in slow cooker.

Mix brown sugar & 1/4C. cocoa in small bowl. Stir in hot water until smooth. Pour evenly over batter in slow cooker.

Cover & cook on high heat setting 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Turn off slow cooker. Let cake stand uncovered 30-40 minutes to cool slightly before serving. Spoon warm cake into dessert dishes. Spoon sauce over top. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.

Ummmm......I'll have to remember to pick up some baking cocoa and nuts on my next trip to the store. Thanks Crewsk!

Slow Cooker Cake

What adjustments would won have to make ofr HIGH Altitude? I'm, at 6,500 ft and have to adjust most baking recipes.

TIA, Charlie

PA Baker said:
Crewsk originally posted this recipe

Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 3hrs. 25min.
Prep: 15min.
Cook: 2hrs. 30min.
Cool: 40min.
(Total time will vary with appliance & setting)

1C. all purpose flour
1/2C. granulated sugar
2Tbsp. baking cocoa
2tsp. baking powder
1/2tsp. salt
1/2C. milk
2Tbsp. vegetable oil
1tsp. vanilla
1/2C. chopped nuts(optional)
3/4C. packed brown sugar
1/4C. baking cocoa
1 1/2C. hot water

Spray inside of 2 to 3 1/2 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2Tbsp. cocoa, baking powder, & salt in a medium bowl. Stir in milk, oil, & vanilla until smooth. Stir in nuts. Spread batter evenly in slow cooker.

Mix brown sugar & 1/4C. cocoa in small bowl. Stir in hot water until smooth. Pour evenly over batter in slow cooker.

Cover & cook on high heat setting 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Turn off slow cooker. Let cake stand uncovered 30-40 minutes to cool slightly before serving. Spoon warm cake into dessert dishes. Spoon sauce over top. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.

I'm not sure Charlie, since it cooks in a crock pot and not in an oven. I'd keep an eye on it through the cooking time (mine took 2 hours as opposed to 2.5), but hopefully someone can give you some more advice.

Did I miss the sauce part? Or was that just the cocoa, hot water bit at the end? Does that make enough for you to spoon over everything?

This sounds fab BTW.

Thanks, crewsk and pa! I made this today and we just had some - YUM!! I don't have any ice cream so we had whipped cream. There's lots of sauce! BTW, Charlie, I'm at 8600 feet and I didn't change any of the ingredients or measurements. It came out fine. Mine was done in an hour and a half, though. :chef:

Alix said:
Did I miss the sauce part? Or was that just the cocoa, hot water bit at the end? Does that make enough for you to spoon over everything?

This sounds fab BTW.

You didn't miss it. The cake batter rises to the top and the sauce end up under it. It's pretty fun to watch! So I guess the sauce is the cocoa, hot water, and brown sugar. Like callie said, it makes a lot. I served a generous amount over each piece and we still had a lot left in the pot (for the cook later!:) ).

Could you make adjustments for a slow cooker with only a low setting? Would you just have to cook it longer?

I make one just like this in the oven and love it. I didn't know you could do it in a slow cooker! I will definitely have to try this.

:) Barbara

Another question: if I didn't want to make a sauce on top, what could I cover the slow cooker with to keep the water off?

The sauce actually is made under the cake. The cake's on the top (strange, I know, but very cool to watch cook!). While the slow cooker lid does make some condensation, it's minimal and doesn't effect the end result at all.

Gah! This looks so good! I must try it...but I've no slow cooker...is there something in the oven I can substitute for it? :(

Hmm...this reminds me of my chocolate pudding cake...

*goes off to post /another/ recipe today* :chef:

Back
Top Bottom