Snickerdoodle Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettyR

Senior Cook
Hi everyone I’m new to the boards.

I copied this recipe out of a five year old Woman’s Day magazine while I was waiting in the Dr’s office for my mom. I’m guessing that they don’t ever throw a magazine away in that office.

The cake looked really good in the magazine and I decided to try it. The cake is good but the frosting seems a little sweet to me but my husband and son thought it was good like it is. They ate half the cake after supper last night so I guess they did like it.

I think next time I will try a different frosting, maybe a 7 minute with the cinnamon in it. Anyway here is the recipe if anyone would like to try it.

Snickerdoodle Cake

1 box yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1-teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 stick of butter – softened
3 large eggs
1-tablespoon vinegar
1/2-cup sour cream
Enough milk to make 1-1/3 cups
1-tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° or 325° for dark or coated cake pans.

Prepare 3 / 9-inch cake pans by cutting wax or parchment paper rounds to fit in the bottom of the pans. Spray or butter the pans then place the paper rounds into place; spray or butter the paper.

In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup place the 1 tablespoon of vinegar and the 1/2-cup of sour cream then add enough milk to make 1-1/3 cups. Add the vanilla to the sour cream mixture.

Put the cake mix, baking soda and cinnamon in an electric mixer bowl, stir well to mix the ingredients. Cut the butter into small slices and mix it into the dry cake mix. Add the eggs and sour cream mixture. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds to combine, stop mixer and scrape the sides of the mixer bowl; then beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Divide the batter equally between the pans and bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until tooth pick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean

Remove the pans from the oven and allow them to cool on cooling racks for 15 minutes then remove the cakes from the pans and allow them to cool completely.

Cinnamon Butter Cream Frosting

1 stick of butter – softened
1/4-teaspoon salt
1/4-cup milk (I used half and half)
2-teaspoons cinnamon
1 pound of powdered sugar

Place softened butter, salt, milk and cinnamon into mixing bowl; add half the powdered sugar and beat to combine. Add the rest of the sugar and beat until light a fluffy.
Frost the cake

img_456452_0_33c32b389b2500b7bcf7fe481444d9e2.jpg

I love Snickerdoodles and this cake looks just gooey good! :LOL: Thank you!

This is very similar to the recipe in Cake Mix Dr. that my DD requests every year for her bday. I make a cream cheese frosting and add cinnamon to it. You may find that less sweet.

Wow, this just moved up to the top of the list for baked goods at our house! My wife is totally excited for me to get baking with a recipe like this!

Thanks for sharing!
-Brad

candelbc said:
Wow, this just moved up to the top of the list for baked goods at our house! My wife is totally excited for me to get baking with a recipe like this!

Thanks for sharing!
-Brad

Your welcome Brad! What a lucky lady your wife is; my husband can’t boil water.

Hope you like it.

The way I look at it, I am the lucky one! She's amazing and WAY out of my league.

I'll let you know when I finish this cake. I might even do it today since it's too hot to be outside. I am just not sure if I like the idea of having the oven on. We'll see..

-Brad

I made this today and I'm eating it right now. Only thing is, my frosting and cake came out darker then yours. My frosting was like a cinnamon brown and my cake was a very light brown. Nonetheless, its delicious.

Wow. Recipe looks simply amazing and the picture looks all the more better. I'll be making this tomorrow, today it'shome-made double chocolate cake, strawberry brandy deserts and dutch chocolate ice cream.

I love snickerdoodle cookies and never thought of having those flavors in a cake. I bet it's delicious. I'm like you, though, I prefer my icing to be less sweet, so I'd probably experiment with what works best. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom