Strawberry Poke/Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
DW purchased some store-bought carrot cake with cream cheese icing. She asked me to make some more cream cheese icing as the square of purchased carrot cake was not frosted on the sides. I did so, and used a whole brick of cream cheese to make it. So after adding more icing to the cake, I had leftovers. And you all know me well enough to know that I just had to experiment. Here;s what I did.

First, the cream cheese frosting was made from q brick of cream cheese, 2/4 cup powdered sugar, and 1 tbs. vanilla extract. The cream cheese was softened in the microwave before the two ohter ingredients were added. It was then stirred until smooth.f

Now, cheesecake is simply cream cheese, sour cream, egg, and vanilla are what give it its flavor. Yogurt also tastes much like sour cream, but Greek style yogurt is thicker. So to the leftover cream cheese icing, I add two tbs. Greek style yogurt. I tasted it and had to add another tsp. vanilla. It tasted like cheesecake.

Next step in experiment: Take icing off of a small slice of the carrot cake and replace it with my new icing. Teh cheesecake icing was great on the carrot cake, and IMO, better than the straight cream cheese icing.

This frosting would be great as a middle layer for yellow cake, chocolate cake, and this cake - https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/homemade-yellow-cake-recipe/. what I like abojut this cake is that the author goes out of her way to do the little extras to make this an above average dcake, such as whipping the egg whites and folding them into the batter, something I do with Belgian waffles.

Here;s where I change the recipe. Add 3/4 cup of freeze-dried strawberries to the batter. After the cake is done, let it cool, ten slice in half to make two layers. Spread a generous amount of the cheesecake frosting to sit between the cake layers. Put the top layer back on. Now, use a chop stick to poke vertical howls all over the cake. Mi up a butch of strawberry gelatin and let it cool to room temp. Pour the gelatin all over the cake/ Chill in the fridge for two hours. Frost the top and sides with the remaining cheesecake frosting.

For the frosting, combine 2 bricks of cream cheese with 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 3 tbs vanilla extract. Whisk, or mix until silky smooth. Add 3/4 cup Greek Yogurt and again, whisk or mix until smooth.`

I can sede this technique used to make any berry-flavored poke cake. The icing would go well with all of them, or any topping you might pair with cheesecake, such as appose, cherry, blueberry, raspberry, even lemon. Just make sure the cake flavor is comparable with the gelatin flavor. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom