Triple Chocolate Pound Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1 cup softened butter (unsalted)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/3 cups sifted flour
2/3 cup dutch process cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
3/4 mini chocolate chips

Glaze

5 oz semi sweet chocolate
2/3 cup whipping cream

Beat butter at medium speed 1 minute or until smooth and creamy. Add sugar; beat 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Scrape down sides.

Put all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and stir them to blend together. At low speed add dry to butter/sugar mixture in 3 portions, alternating with sour cream and ending with flour mixture. Beat 5 seconds after each addition. Add chocolate chips; finish stirring batter with spatula until blended.

Use a BIG bundt pan (12 cups?) or a really big springform pan (10 or 11 inches?) and be generous when greasing. I like to grease it and then use cocoa instead of flour for this cake.

Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or til skewer comes out clean. Cool completely before adding glaze.

Place cream in microwave safe bowl (measuring cup) and nuke for 1 - 1.5 minutes til bubble form but its not boiling. Add the chocolate to the hot cream and whisk like a wild thing. Cool a little bit and then pour over cake.

You can then place raspberries or blueberries on top, or sprinkle some powdered sugar on top for a decoration.

Edit: I originally got this from a magazine, but have adapted it myself as it was a PITA to start with. Its a delicious cake although a bit dryer than we like.

Last edited:
1 cup softened butter (unsalted)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/3 cups sifted flour
2/3 cup dutch process cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
3/4 mini chocolate chips

Glaze

5 oz semi sweet chocolate
2/3 cup whipping cream

Beat butter at medium speed 1 minute or until smooth and creamy. Add sugar; beat 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Scrape down sides.

Put all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and stir them to blend together. At low speed add dry to butter/sugar mixture in 3 portions, alternating with sour cream and ending with flour mixture. Beat 5 seconds after each addition. Add chocolate chips; finish stirring batter with spatula until blended.

Use a BIG bundt pan (12 cups?) or a really big springform pan (10 or 11 inches?) and be generous when greasing. I like to grease it and then use cocoa instead of flour for this cake.

Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or til skewer comes out clean. Cool completely before adding glaze.

Place cream in microwave safe bowl (measuring cup) and nuke for 1 - 1.5 minutes til bubble form but its not boiling. Add the chocolate to the hot cream and whisk like a wild thing. Cool a little bit and then pour over cake.

You can then place raspberries or blueberries on top, or sprinkle some powdered sugar on top for a decoration.

Edit: I originally got this from a magazine, but have adapted it myself as it was a PITA to start with. Its a delicious cake although a bit dryer than we like.

Pound cake is a dry cake. Serve it with some ice cream. Thanks for posting the recpie.

Thanks Patty. I know pound cake is dry, but I adjust my recipes to give a bit more moisture and density as a rule. This one is a little dryer than we like, thus my suggestion for fresh berries on top.

got this printed..thanks

ChefJune, you here? Any thoughts if I can use any ww pastry flour in this? I have unbleached white and even some white cake flour on hand..

thank you sweetie i like to freeze my lb cake so i can dunk in milk without it falling apart and making milk mud. unfortunately i don't have either a bundt pan and only a 9" springform i use for cheesecake. can i use several loaf pans? how full would i fill them 3/4 full like a cupcake? i also have no dutch cocoa. i have several cans of unsweetened regular cocoa. :( the stars are against me lately :LOL:

Meh...use your 9 inch springform but cook longer, testing with a toothpick. And just use whatever cocoa you have. It will be fine I think. I think you just add a tsp of baking powder if you don't have dutch process. Enjoy!

Meh...use your 9 inch springform but cook longer, testing with a toothpick. And just use whatever cocoa you have. It will be fine I think. I think you just add a tsp of baking powder if you don't have dutch process. Enjoy!
thanks

Back
Top Bottom