Upside Down Blueberry Lemon Cake TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I spotted this recipe at the doc's office yesterday. It sounded so good that I had the appt girl make a photo copy. I made it last night.
I made it in a square pan (easier for kids to cut their own pieces)

The cake is nice and dense (it would do well for a brunch potluck)and the only thing I'd change is maybe adding more lemon zest. I used my meyers (last 3 on the tree), so the zest was sweet, but I think next time I'll use more, so it can be even more lemony.

Lemon and Blueberry Upside Down Cake

Last edited by a moderator:
PS - I forgot to say, that it really looks best in presentation when you put whipped cream on top, as the "top" is completely purple!

jkath:

Thanks for this recipe! I made it for SO as part of her Mother's Day dinner and we both really liked it. It's a keeper.

I had to improvise because the lemons I was counting on for zest were rotten. I used a combination of lemon and limes for the zest.

QSis:

Cake flour is a 'softer' flour than AP. It is lower in protein and, therefore, produces less gluten. This will result is a lighter, fluffier cake than the same recipe made with AP flour.

If you want to convert a recipe written for AP flour to cake flour, substitute 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cake flour for every cup of AP flour.

Any reason you could not use almond meal instead of almond paste? I have the meal but not any paste.

hmmm...I wouldn't use the almond meal, as it is such a different ingredient. If you're not familiar with almond paste, it's the same consistancy of the center of a marzipan candy. (And very similar in taste)
Here's a picture:

\

Back
Top Bottom