Wacky Cake..anyone remember this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I forgot all about this cake that was all the rage before many of you were born. It's for the "baking challenged" like ME who hardly ever bake because it's too much trouble, or nothing seems to turn out right. My kids loved making it too. No eggs required.

You will need a 8x8 pan....nice size for couples, or those living alone.

Wacky Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
3 Tbs. coco powder (I use Hershey's)
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
6 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil your 8x8" pan. Sift all dry ingredients directly into pan, and mix. Make three holes in the dry ingredients. Pour the vanilla in one hole, the oil in another hole, and the vinegar in the third hole. Pour the water over all, and mix it all up with a rubber spatula till smooth. Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 min. till a toothpick test comes out clean.
Set the cake to cool for the amount of time to make the yummy frosting...the best part.

Frosting for Wacky Cake

1/4 C. real butter
2 Tbs. coco powder
3 Tbs. milk or yogurt or buttermilk

Combine above in a sauce pan, stir and heat till butter is melted.
Add 1 tsp vanilla and sift in two cups of powdered sugar. Add chopped nuts if you wish, and pour over warm cake.

Heck yes, I remember it!! Mom made that for us....in fact it may have been one of the first things I baked when I was a teen. I'm swipin' that one for old time's sake.:chef:

;)And it's still as delicious as ever Annie.

My husband just said....."That cake you just made is terrible. I'll have to eat it all so it doesn't go to waste". He can be a PITA sometimes. :rolleyes:

;)And it's still as delicious as ever Annie.

My husband just said....."That cake you just made is terrible. I'll have to eat it all so it doesn't go to waste". He can be a PITA sometimes. :rolleyes:

Shrek said he'd sacrifice himself and finish off the fish...so I wouldn't have to face it, again. I think something smells fishy..:LOL:

I love that cake. At least I did when I was younger. I used to make it with my kids when they were little. I always thought it was fun to make as a kid myself too. I haven't made it with the grandsons yet, but need to. Thanks for the reminder. And,by the way, you could send it my way if hubby won't it because my hubby will eat anything that is chocolate. He just won't eat anything that is a veggie or fruit.:neutral:

I had to make part of my niece's wedding cake and all of her shower cake out of wacky cake. It isn't conducive to carving so it was a bit of a challenge, but my niece loved it so that is what counts! I had actually never heard of it before I married my husband!

I love that cake. At least I did when I was younger. I used to make it with my kids when they were little. I always thought it was fun to make as a kid myself too. I haven't made it with the grandsons yet, but need to. Thanks for the reminder. And,by the way, you could send it my way if hubby won't it because my hubby will eat anything that is chocolate. He just won't eat anything that is a veggie or fruit.:neutral:

Remind him the chocolate is definitely in the fruit and vegetable category and he should give the others a chance!:LOL:

i remember making this cake about 30 years ago. my recipe made a 9 by 13 cake. we were not making much money and i had four teenagers to feed.,only two were mine. anyway the no eggs made it affordable. we had goats at the time. i made a frosting out of that. very tasty and was always fresh. thanks for the memory.

Babe, you made frosting out of goats? :huh:

it did kinda read like that didn't it, lol.:ROFLMAO::LOL: i meant to say the milk. it tasted pretty good in frosting. those three teenage boys and one girl could really go through the cake in a hurry. one boy was my son and the girl (her goats) was mine as well. the other two were friends of my son's whose parents had tossed them out. we are still in touch with one of them. could never understand why the parents threw them out.

I make that cake too with the 9x13 recipe. We find the cake so good that we don't frost it! I just dust it with powdered sugar. Sometimes if I have it we'll add whipped cream. It's awesome in the summer as a substitute for the shortcake in strawberry shortcake.

I meant to add that we called it Krazy Kake not wacky. I remember Mom got the recipe out of the newspaper. She rarely did that usually opting for family standards from her childhood. It wasn't until all us kids were grown that she started expanding her horizons making other stuff. She'd occasionally get a recipe from a church friend but only if she had tried it and liked it. She was a good cook but not adventurous.

Wacky cake love it - It also was the first cake i ever made ( 40 yrs ago) that didn't come out of a box, I use regular frosting on it. a cake that doesn't last long in this house.

My grandmother used to make it for us. The best cake she made though was what she called a hot milk cake. Made in an angel food cake pan and there was no frosting. I liked it best when it fell. There was this dense layer in the fallen cake I thought was great.

Craig

:( i've never had it, but i think i'll have to try it...
may i ask why they call it a wacky cake???

That is my favourite chocolate cake. My recipe is slightly different: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/quick-chocolate-cake-tnt-68163.html#post935807

It works fine with whole grain wheat flour (doesn't even matter if it is soft or hard or all purpose whole grain wheat).

I frosted it once. The frosting was delicious, but it detracted from the cake, so I don't do that any more.

I think it is called "wacky" or "krazy" because you mix it in the baking pan.

I never grease the pan, but I serve it out of the pan.

:( i've never had it, but i think i'll have to try it...
may i ask why they call it a wacky cake???

Jacky, it's likely called Wacky because of the lack of eggs and dairy. It was probably born of WWII, or maybe even earlier in the great depression, when such items were in short supply. Now days, it's perfect for Vegan's.

TL......I'm going to try your recipe....I have a fondness for butter and buttermilk. ;)

This cake took many names. Back in 1960, Peg Bracken had this cake in her "I Hate To Cook Book". She called it Cockeyed Cake.

Whatever it's called, it's delicious!

Back
Top Bottom