What are your favorite kind of cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've lived in Massachusetts for 70 years and 99.99% of the shortcakes I've eaten have been made with these. You can buy them in any supermarket. I can't speak to what's common in Maine.

Maybe it's more of a Maine thing ;)

I'd seen these in the stores but they weren't a big seller like they are here.

Try it with a biscuit, really delicious!

I've lived in Massachusetts for 70 years and 99.99% of the shortcakes I've eaten have been made with these. You can buy them in any supermarket. I can't speak to what's common in Maine.

I'm in Springfield MA, and they are extremely popular down here. I might have to try making a boston cream pie in them that sounds delicious actually.:chef:

In New England, especially Maine, this is how shortcake is made. I believe by definition a shortcake is like an american style slightly sweetened biscuit.

When I moved to NC, angel cake or those little premade sponges were the norm. I was confused because with this being big biscuit territory, why hadn't they thought of using them for strawberry shortcake? :yum:

Biscuits are my preferred shortcake, maybe it tastes better or maybe it's nostalgia.

No it is not nostalgia. New England shortcake has substance. No flavor in those wimpy sponge cakes.

My sister used to make three cake size sweetened biscuits. Then when serving time came, she would assemble it. Each layer of biscuit was washed in strawberry juice, and then a layer of strawberries topped with a layer of whipped cream. But the crowing glory was always the top layer. It would serve eight. Ten if there were kids. They got skinny slices. Everyone else got a big slice. :angel:

...Biscuits are my preferred shortcake, maybe it tastes better or maybe it's nostalgia.
bakechef, I'm with you. My great aunt or Mom would bake the sweet, shortcake style biscuit from scratch. So tender and light! :yum: Himself grew up eating shortcake made with sponges. Yuck, in my book. I'll buy a four-count every once in a decade because one every ten years is enough. Instead of baking shortcakes, though, I compromise and buy either pound cake or angel food cake. We both think those bases are acceptable.

Growing up Strawberry Shortcake was homemade Angel Food Cake, fresh strawberries with whipped cream. No biscuits. I've made the biscuits, but would rather have a soft, spongy cake.

Growing up Strawberry Shortcake was homemade Angel Food Cake, fresh strawberries with whipped cream. No biscuits. I've made the biscuits, but would rather have a soft, spongy cake.

Pound cake was sometimes used as a standard substitute for those cake cups I pictured.

don't like any cakes, eating American cakes is like eating air. I like my cakes heavy, really dense, just like Russian bread, Russian cakes are heavy. Can't eat a lot of it. When I make them people who never had it grab a huge piece and then they can never finish. Bu I do like apple and similar pies.

don't like any cakes, eating American cakes is like eating air. I like my cakes heavy, really dense, just like Russian bread, Russian cakes are heavy. Can't eat a lot of it. When I make them people who never had it grab a huge piece and then they can never finish. Bu I do like apple and similar pies.

You should try pound cake with lemon glaze or flourless chocolate cake with chocolate ganache. They're both pretty dense. And flavorful when done right :yum:

Flourless chocolate cake is not bad, if it is made right. I've had it both ways.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I hear ya Charlie. I really don't much care for the light, fluffy kind of cakes that are similar to the ones that cake mix makes.

I have a suggestion. Cut your cake into appropriate sized slices before you serve it. ;)

The best cake I have ever had was at a local "mom & pop" type of restaurant close to where I live. They had what they called a banana pudding cake. It was so good. It tasted just like banana pudding (which I love anyway), but was a cake. It was served cold. I don't dine-in there very often, but when I do I always check to see if they have one made up that day. Anyone have a good recipe for this kind of cake?

I like strawberry shortcake in the sponge dessert cup preferably chocolate :chef:

img_1435445_0_7474e0217cc726a31277507f674b6bf2.jpg

LOTS of favorite desserts but we don't have dessert often :( Here are some of our favs.

Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie is perfectly sweet and tangy balanced.

img_1435446_0_bee08759da563062b036832c7fc325bb.jpg

img_1435446_1_b650e7e4fc30d4987266124af36fb209.jpg

Cheesecake

img_1435446_2_a02b5b4069f8b097c30f058f40c071c4.jpg

Topped with cherry

img_1435446_3_e83be842f83bdd8859b2ecd712f83a32.jpg

Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake (whipped cream, strawberry, banana, cherry topping and flaked coconut)

img_1435446_4_9a3df3c62f3d65116d8cdfef0f3ed871.jpg

Mocha Brownies

img_1435446_5_2213aff716cb717187d416a29616f227.jpg

The best cake I have ever had was at a local "mom & pop" type of restaurant close to where I live. They had what they called a banana pudding cake. It was so good. It tasted just like banana pudding (which I love anyway), but was a cake. It was served cold. I don't dine-in there very often, but when I do I always check to see if they have one made up that day. Anyone have a good recipe for this kind of cake?

Banana Pudding Cake Recipe - Spicy Southern Kitchen

Every other recipe I saw called for a boxed cake. I am not a fan of them unless you are ready to do some doctoring to enhance the flavor. This one is from scratch. :angel:

I made cakeballs, which were fun. I liked them because they are just the right size for one serving. Served them with ice cream and, of course, a cherry on top.

Attachments

• cakeballs.JPG
    cakeballs.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 143
Yummy! I love A Banana Pudding cake!! It is very good, my great :chef:aunt makes me that each time she comes to visit.
LOTS of favorite desserts but we don't have dessert often :( Here are some of our favs.
AWESOME!!! That cheesecake with the cherry looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I might have to have you make that devil's food cake for me.

Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie is perfectly sweet and tangy balanced.
I love Lemon Meringue Pie too!
img_1435918_0_bee08759da563062b036832c7fc325bb.jpg

img_1435918_1_b650e7e4fc30d4987266124af36fb209.jpg

Cheesecake

img_1435918_2_a02b5b4069f8b097c30f058f40c071c4.jpg

Topped with cherry

img_1435918_3_e83be842f83bdd8859b2ecd712f83a32.jpg

Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake (whipped cream, strawberry, banana, cherry topping and flaked coconut)

img_1435918_4_9a3df3c62f3d65116d8cdfef0f3ed871.jpg

Mocha Brownies

img_1435918_5_2213aff716cb717187d416a29616f227.jpg

I made cakeballs, which were fun. I liked them because they are just the right size for one serving. Served them with ice cream and, of course, a cherry on top.
Nice. I love cake balls too.... so yummy.

Back
Top Bottom