What dessert for this year's birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Last year, his birthday 17th of Jan, he wanted Boston Cream Pie.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/boston-cream-pie-97386.html4

So in preparation for this year's birthday...birthday 32.

Me: I have a question I need to ask you.
Son: No I'm not gay.
Me: Well it would be okay if you were. I hadn't thought of asking that question but thank you for the information. No, I wanted to ask you what you wanted for your birthday dinner dessert and main dish/appetizers, whatever, so I have time to get ingredients on the grocery list before your birthday.
Son: Maybe beef wellington or something like that. I don't know what to ask for for dessert.
Me: Well noodle around the internet or look through our cookbooks and then let me know, like, pretty soon.
Son: Okay.

Great conversation!

If he can't decide you could make me a pineapple upside down cake with plenty of whipped cream! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

What does he like? DH loves Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, so for Christmas I made a peanut butter tart with a chocolate ganache topping. He loved it. He always wants tiramisu for his birthday cake. It goes with the lasagna I always make.

I first tried coconut cream pie when traveling in MO, I'd never had it before. It was dreamy, I was 45 that year.

I don't think Mr. 32 has any identifiable 'favorites', he's still trying things out in life and learning what he likes. When he was little, he liked banana split torte, and sometimes german chocolate cake like his dad, and then last year boston cream pie. It will be a new thing this year, I guess. I'll keep y'all updated.

Any dessert? Any?

It would have been answered more easily if he was just gay and that was your question.

Considering the weather, how about Baked Alaska? Just kidding.

Spotted dick? Wait, he answered that question already...
:cool:

But seriosly, something warm. Maybe Cocolate Molten Lava Cake? Or Bananas Foster?

Last edited:
What about mont Blanc? Lovely and a bit different?

A really good spotted dick ( a steam pudding with currant, suet, lemon and orange zest) , I so miss that with hot custard, yum.

Last edited:
I first tried coconut cream pie when traveling in MO, I'd never had it before. It was dreamy, I was 45 that year.

I don't think Mr. 32 has any identifiable 'favorites', he's still trying things out in life and learning what he likes. When he was little, he liked banana split torte, and sometimes german chocolate cake like his dad, and then last year boston cream pie. It will be a new thing this year, I guess. I'll keep y'all updated.

A great exchange of words with your son... :)

When we lived in Missouri before, there was a nice restaurant in southwest MO which served cream pie with meringue instead of standard whipped cream topping.. I had the coconut cream and it was spectacular.. :yum:

Ross

I meant any favorite flavors or combinations of flavors, not just desserts. But I'm sure he'll figure something out.

Since it's winter, I've been craving berries. I saw a recipe this morning for a warm blackberry sabayon made with white wine and lemon zest. That with champagne is very appealing right now!

I think I'll toddle off and get some berries out of the freezer to use tomorrow!

Thanks Blissful. It has been awhile since I had a really good laugh. I have yet to meet a man that didn't love chocolate cake. And Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa has a recipe to die for. So moist and so chocolaty. Served with a childhood favorite of chocolate milk and chocolate ice cream, it should make him one happy so not gay male!

I still cannot stop giggling just sitting here.

He finally decided. He wants beef bourgignon (sp?) the beef with wine sauce mushrooms onions, lots of flavors from spices herbs anchovies... and the same dessert as last year!!!! Boston Cream Pie (which is a cake and there is a thread on it from last year), and for an appetizer, onion rings as we discovered a great onion rings recipe he loved. So now I need to get my grocery list going, I only have 3 days to get it all together.

I need a beef roast
2 lbs of mushrooms
maybe some canned pearl onions
red wine
bubbling water like a club soda for the onion rings
cream for the boston cream pie (which is a cake)
short grocery list!

He found out today, that he has work for 8 weeks, then the company is closing. He is disappointed and I am too. He put in a lot of work for them and now he had to start out new again. 32 and starting new again is pretty hard. He likes the stability of every day, work, putting in his best and then knowing the next day he is appreciated. He's like all of us.

Back
Top Bottom