What do you do with your cake scraps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I'm looking for new ideas.

What I've been doing is putting them in the food processor with a bit of cocoa, powdered sugar and some kind of flavoring, processing it, then shaping them into either balls ("cake balls") or shaping them into an object (like a banana, cherries, etc) and dipping them in colored fondant and adding them as decorations to something else I've made.

The same old same old.

Any fresh ideas out there? :chef:

I don't think I've ever had scraps. But if I did, I'd probably just eat 'em. Sorry whole milk, I am not professional so I don't have any ideas here. I am sure someone else will be here ASAP though.

There is such a thing?

CAKE SCRAPS! Sounds like a bigfoot sighting to me. :ROFLMAO:

JK I know there are such a thing but in my house (growing up as well as now) cake scraps dissappear when your back is turned.

If you mean leftovers, we never have any. :pig: We usually cut a cake into 2 or 3 large pieces and freeze part of it -- there are only the two of us, and eating the same dessert for a week gets old.

My mother didn't have the same problem. When there was some cake left that was getting old, she made "pudding cake" - a simply vanilla pudding or blanc mange (cornstarch pudding) and poured it over pieces of the cake, frosting and all, in a bowl, and maybe tossed on some fruit. We though it was quite a treat!

There is such a thing?

JK I know there are such a thing but in my house (growing up as well as now) cake scraps dissappear when your back is turned.

Bring some of your people over to my house!

I get cake scraps when I make roulades or sculpt my cakes. I also get a fair amount of cakes that I bake just to try out a recipe or tweak recipes, I think of them as practice, so I just pop em in the food processor when I've learned what I need to know.
:LOL:

As a cake decorator, I am the Queen of cake scraps. Sometimes they can be as big as a half a cake (depending on what I am carving) or as small as a little corner.

The big scraps I put in the freezer for when I have unexpected, or even expected, company. I almost always have extra icing in the fridge as well, though sometimes the cake ends up looking like a patchwork quilt because I have small amounts of different colours.

The smaller scraps I use in trifles, as mentioned above, and also if I have different flavoured cakes I will make a mosaic by spreading icing on the sides and putting them all together in a pattern. I often take these "cakes" to church for snack and the kids go wild over them!

Another idea, is to chop them small (or even put them through the food processor) and alternate in clear glass serving dishes with ice cream or pudding to make parfaits.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Wow. I'm going to come live with you both. I'm sure I can hit both houses in the same day. It's not that far between Yokohama and British Columbia. I may show up late though so don't call the cops. afterall, you don't want your new adopted son to have a police record.

BigDaddy, the light is on five nights a week until 11:30 for my DH who works afternoons. If you can make it in that time frame you are welcome and if not, just hop the fence. The shed is unlocked and there are sleeping bags in one of the totes!

If you get lost I will just leave a trail of cake crumbs for you LOL!!!!

If you come over here for a cake buffet dinner you can make it to BC in time for breakfast and start your day. We want our boy to be well fed and ready to tackle the world. :LOL:

There is such a thing?

lol! nice parallell

If there are not a lot of cake scap, I'll just eat them especially if they are moist and nice. Definitely not from an over baked cake. If there are more, then I'll just turn them into rum balls...very yummy. Mash them up, add some rum and jam of your choice. Roll them into balls. Roll them in some jam of you choice (heat it up to liquify it) and then in chocolate rice. Put them into small beautiful paper cups. They look great and taste great.

If there are not a lot of cake scap, I'll just eat them especially if they are moist and nice. Definitely not from an over baked cake. If there are more, then I'll just turn them into rum balls...very yummy. Mash them up, add some rum and jam of your choice. Roll them into balls. Roll them in some jam of you choice (heat it up to liquify it) and then in chocolate rice. Put them into small beautiful paper cups. They look great and taste great.

Ooooo!!!.... great idea! Sorry dog.

You could always put your scraps into some mold that you like, and throw rum at it till it gives up and sticks together :)

Have with some vanilla ice cream on the side. Or if white or yellow cake, maybe some version of cherry chunked vanilla ice cream.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom