Whipped Cream Frosting Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I am going to make a lavender whipped cream frosting. I would like to know:

1. What is the difference between whipped cream and whipped cream frosting? The recipes for the frosting look just like whipped cream recipes!

2. Will whipped cream frosting (On a cake) stand up to 1-hour road trip, then several hours storage before eating?

3. I found a thread here that talked about "stabilizing" whipped cream. Is that something I would do with the frosting?

*Apologies to administrators: I am re-posting a question from earlier this week with a new title (because no one replied to my other post!). The other one was in Cakes forum titled "ISO Lavender Whipped Cream Frosting."

JillBurgh,

I am no pastry chef, but from what I've done in the past:
1. Most of the whipped cream frostings I prepared, involved the use of flour and butter/shortening.
Whipped cream is just the cream whipped with an added flavor like confectioner sugar or syrup/concentrated flavor. Can you post the frosting recipes you are referring to?
2. Whipped cream frosting required cold temperature. Unless you have a way to keep the cake cold (styrofoam box?), I recommend preparing the frosting on site and keeping the cake in a refrigerator.
3. I will look for this thread, but I have not done this before. As a guideline, I prepare cakes the day before I need them and leave them in the fridge unless is not required.

I hope this will help you.

All of your whipped cream questions answered!

Well I must have stumped the forum with my whipped cream questions!
Serendipitously, today's "America's Test Kitchen" had an entire episode about my quandary. So now I shall share what I learned:

What kind of cream is best?
  • Ultra-Pasteurized milk is heated to a higher temp than pasteurized. Less heat equals more flavor. Therefore, pasteurized products are more flavorful than ultra-pasteurized.
  • Whipping cream has less fat than heavy cream and will separate after a relatively short period of time, resulting in that liquid you sometimes see floating in whipped cream.
  • Pasteurized heavy creams often have additives (stabilizing ingredients) which aid in peak retention, but sacrifice flavor.
  • The best choice is heavy cream that is all natural, pasteurized (NOT ultra-pasteurized), and the ingredient list should only have one item: Heavy Cream. This cream should hold its integrity in the refrigerator for an entire day.
The Science of whipping cream:
  • Room temp cream will whip, but it won't hold long, and it will get runny.
  • Cream = Fat
  • When you whip the cream, air bubbles become coated with the fat, which stabilizes the molecules and holds them in an emulsified form resulting in "billowy" peaks.
  • Fat in its chilled state is crystalline. Imagine "fat" snowflakes surrounding the air bubbles, acting as a hard shell that can stabilize the air bubbles for as long as they are kept cold. As it heats up, the structure will break down and become runny.
  • Whipping cream is a kinetic process. It creates energy (heat) through friction, and in turn raises the temp of the cream. Therefore, the colder the cream (bowl & mixers, too), the less chance there is that the cream will break down from rising temps.
Whipped Cream Frosting, stabilized:
  • The whipped cream WILL break down if left to sit on a cake. The secret? Cream cheese.
  • Use a relatively small amount of cream cheese so it doesn't end up Cream Cheese Frosting.
Whipped Cream Frosting:
    • Beat together until fluffy: 8 oz Cream Cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt until fluffy.
    • Add 1 tsp Vanilla, and slowly incorporate 2 cups heavy cream on low speed.
    • Increase speed to med-high and whip for 2-3 minutes until stiff peaks form.
Hopefully that answers all of the whipped cream questions you'll ever have!

Jillburgh,
Thank you for all the information, I recall reading about this in Cooks Illustrated and grabbing the "do's" and "dont's". Your detailed explanation brings a lot of light and logic.

Jillburgh,
Thank you for all the information, I recall reading about this in Cooks Illustrated and grabbing the "do's" and "dont's". Your detailed explanation brings a lot of light and logic.

And thanks to you, too! I certainly didn't intend to discount your answer to my post when I said I stumped the forum. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, and for looking further into the topic.

I'll let you know how the cream cheese-amended frosting turns out. I hope it doesn't overpower the lavender I am going to infuse into the cream.

There are a host of stabilized whipped cream recipes on the internet. Just go to Google and type in Stabilized Whipped Cream recipes.

Stabilized whipped cream does have unflavored gelatine added to the whipped cream to keep it from collapsing into goo at room temperature. It also stands up better to humidity. It has all of the creamy lightness of whipped cream, but has a much, much longer life, and is more versatile. It can be used as frosting, fillings for cream puffs, eclaires, and pastries, or as topping for shortcakes, ice cream, etc.

Stabilized whipped cream is superior for frosting compared to whipped cream.

Here is one recipe. Enjoy.

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM ICING
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
4 tsp. cold water
1 c. heavy whipping cream (at least 24 hours old and very cold)
1/4 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
Combine gelatin and cold water in small saucepan. Let stand until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly just until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until slightly thickened. While beating slowly, gradually add gelatin to whipped cream mixture. Whip at high speed until stiff.
Yield: 2 cups
Cakes iced with whipped cream must be kept refrigerated. (This is the commercial recipe used by bakeries).

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yay! Thank you Goodweed. That's exactly what I needed. You just swooped in like Superman... In and out of our lives like a dream...

I plan to infuse the cream by warming it with some lavender. Then I will re-chill it. Do you think that will break down the heavy cream molecules somehow?

Yay! Thank you Goodweed. That's exactly what I needed. You just swooped in like Superman... In and out of our lives like a dream...

I plan to infuse the cream by warming it with some lavender. Then I will re-chill it. Do you think that will break down the heavy cream molecules somehow?

No. I think the lavender will add a wonderful flavor. In the future, you could also try adding rose water, from organically, pesticide free roses that you grow yourself, of course.

No you've got me thinking, and that can be dangerous. I can think of all kinds of things to add to your stabilized whipped cream, from citrus oils (from the zest, not the acidic juice), to freshly grated nutmeg, or a bit of ginger. You could even use savory flavors for some dishes by adding spices like turmeric, or fennel, or basil. Think of it, a cinnamon-clove-nutmeg flavored whipped cream topping over fluffy, mashed sweet potatoes, with a bit of sweetener added to the whipped cream. Sounds good to me. I told you I could get dangerous when thought is provoked.:LOL::rolleyes:

No you've got me thinking, and that can be dangerous. I can think of all kinds of things to add to your stabilized whipped cream, from citrus oils (from the zest, not the acidic juice), to freshly grated nutmeg, or a bit of ginger. You could even use savory flavors for some dishes by adding spices like turmeric, or fennel, or basil. Think of it, a cinnamon-clove-nutmeg flavored whipped cream topping over fluffy, mashed sweet potatoes, with a bit of sweetener added to the whipped cream. Sounds good to me. I told you I could get dangerous when thought is provoked.:LOL::rolleyes:

Great ideas! How about a rosemary olive oil cake with lemon zest whipped?

And I think for the sweet potatoes, I'd roast them in halves and top them with a dollop of your heavenly spiced whipped cream for a texture contrast. That would make yummy finger food for a holiday party, too. They would look beautiful! Only worry, the cream would hafta be sturdy to stand up to hot stuff.... Oh I know! sweet potato fries with whipped for dipping! Mmmm

There are a host of stabilized whipped cream recipes on the internet. Just go to Google and type in Stabilized Whipped Cream recipes.

Stabilized whipped cream does have unflavored gelatine added to the whipped cream to keep it from collapsing into goo at room temperature. It also stands up better to humidity. It has all of the creamy lightness of whipped cream, but has a much, much longer life, and is more versatile. It can be used as frosting, fillings for cream puffs, eclaires, and pastries, or as topping for shortcakes, ice cream, etc.

Stabilized whipped cream is superior for frosting compared to whipped cream.

Here is one recipe. Enjoy.

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM ICING
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
4 tsp. cold water
1 c. heavy whipping cream (at least 24 hours old and very cold)
1/4 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
Combine gelatin and cold water in small saucepan. Let stand until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly just until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until slightly thickened. While beating slowly, gradually add gelatin to whipped cream mixture. Whip at high speed until stiff.
Yield: 2 cups
Cakes iced with whipped cream must be kept refrigerated. (This is the commercial recipe used by bakeries).

Hey, Goodweed (or anyone who knows):

Will 2 cups be enough to cover a four-layer cake?
(Two 9-inch cakes sliced into four layers.)

Thanks!

Dopn't use the whipped cream topping in-between the cake layers as the weight of the cake will collapse the whipped cream and it will just soak into the cake. Rather use a flavored butter-cream frosting or a bavarian or flavored cream filling. Spread the whipped cream frosting all over the outside then and you will have hit a home run.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh, I should have clarified. I plan to use a lemon scented custard between the layers, and only use the whipped for the outside.

If you add melted marshmallows to your whipped cream they will act as stabilizers.
The cake really still needs to be refrigerated. Maybe take it in a cooler or put the whipped cream into a container and frost it when you get there.

Most of the whipped cream frostings I prepared, involved the use of flour and butter/shortening.
Whipped cream is just the cream whipped with an added flavor like confectioner sugar or syrup/concentrated flavor.

That is the kind of frosting my daughter puts on her Red Velvet Cake, and it's wonderful!

I live in the dairy state and simply cannot find heavy cream or heavy whipping cream that is NOT ultra-pasteurized! Is it even available anymore? I assume it is ultra pasteurized to aide in the grocer's shelf life, but I want the old stuff!

Update

I used Goodweed's recipe for the whipped cream frosting and it held up perfectly. The only thing I did differently was to drop a tespoon of lavender into the heavy cream the night before I made the frosting, and added a coupla drops of purple food coloring for a subtle lavender glow. Here's the cake.. Lemon olive oil cake (4 layers) with lemon custard and lavender frosting. I wanted edible flowers but couldn't find them that day. Sorry no pics of the inside, we ate it too fast!

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 203

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom