White Velvet Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1 cup butter/margarine
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time. Alternate dry ingredients and milk/vanilla.

Pour into 2 greased 9 inch cake tins. 35 minutes at 375.

Hope you like it Patty. Its pretty dense but has a great crumb. (Brown sugar fudge icing is GREAT on this cake.)

New to this forum and am baking this cake as we speak. Thanks so much for posting.

Hope you like it. Have you decided what frosting to use?

I like the brown sugar icing I posted, but I have recently been using a creamy lemon icing. (Cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice and icing sugar) Its REALLY good. My kids like yogurt whipped with some icing sugar and some sliced strawberries with this cake.

Post a picture for us!

Last edited:
Hope you like it. Have you decided what frosting to use?

I like the brown sugar icing I posted, but I have recently been using a creamy lemon icing. (Cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice and icing sugar) Its REALLY good. My kids like yogurt whipped with some icing sugar and some sliced strawberries with this cake.

Post a picture for us!

That has my wheels turning. Do you just beat in the sugar? How much of each? Extract sounds like it would be a welcome addition here. If one used fat free Greek yogurt that would cancel out all the sugar and eggs in the cake.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wow, I have really missed things over the last year or so. This is a real gem. The one thing I have an issue with is getting a nice moist white cake that I can use for different purposes. I am going to try this one real soon!

Thanks Alix!

Hey LP, this one is firm enough to stand up to decorating too. Just be careful not to overcook it. It dries out quickly when overdone.

Great! I was going to try it on some cupcakes to decorate in Canuck colours to take to pain group tomorrow! I will let you know how they turn out if I get time to make them today. :)

I always time to slightly underdone and then watch it closely from there.

I've never done them as cupcakes, let me know how that goes. This is what my Mom made for my wedding cake. It was delish.

Follow up

I have to say that I have been baking my way through the interwebs, trying different recipes for cakes just like this one, looking for the elusive moist texture of this cake that I had at a wedding one night that completely blew me away....it was definitely a white cake, had no fancy filling, was dense but moist, had an especially wonderful crumb and a light but mouth filling vanilla flavor. And so far, this recipe is the closest I have come to it.....

so really thanks for the post.

You're very welcome.

I'll add a quick note here as I made this cake just a few days ago. I subbed in 1/2 cup greek yogurt for 1/2 cup of the milk. It made the cake more moist and tender. Still dense enough to stand up to decoration though.

Similar Recipes

Just out of curiosity.... do you have any other recipes like this in your arsenal that I could try out?

Are you looking specifically for a white cake? I have a jillion recipes for cake in general. I've got a couple of pound cake recipes that might be helpful. They aren't quite like this but similar.

What's most important? Crumb? Flavor? Moisture? or Texture for decorating?

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/elvis-presleys-favorite-pound-cake-71655.html is one of my favorite recipes. I often sub in greek yogurt for the cream in this one too. I've also subbed eggnog and THAT was heavenly!

Last edited:
You're Awesome

Definitely looking for a white cake. The most important thing is the crumb/texture. I am/have been looking for a recipe that will give me an almost equal supply of density as moisture, if that makes any sense.....

Back
Top Bottom