Whomped-Up Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chocoholic

Senior Cook
Whomped-Up Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups applesauce
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in a 9-by-13-inch pan in the oven.
Sift together the flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the pan.
Add the applesauce and raisins. Stir the batter until all ingredients are well combined (whomping it up!).
Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you want to frost it, you can use the Simple (Cinnamon) Sugar Glaze.

Simple (Cinnamon) Sugar Glaze
Preparation time: 2 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
Cinnamon (optional)
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Stir the powdered sugar and cinnamon (if using) together in a small bowl. Place the powdered sugar mixture in a small mixing bowl and whisk in enough milk to make the glaze smooth and spreadable.
Spoon or pour the glaze over the cake of your choice. Let the cake rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes 1 cup, enough to frost the top of a Bundt or tube cake.

This recipe is great for the name alone! Minus the cloves and I am all over it! Certainly going to have to make this while apple season is still in swing! Thanks for sharing this one Chocoholic :)

Can I use the nutmeg to flavor the glaze instead of the cin.?? I love the smell of nutmeg.

Hmmmmm...this looks good. Here "whomping it up" means thrown together quickly without a recipe. LOL. I am copying this one. Thanks!

I think I may try this today. I have everything except raisins & cloves but no one here really likes raisins anyway & I'm not overly fond of how cloves taste. I love how they smell thuogh. Thanks Chocoholic!:)

You're welcome. :) I've never tried nutmeg in the glaze. I made up (and tested, don't worry) the cinnamon part, but everything else is from a book. Just taste it and see how it tastes (one of my favorite ways to cook!).

I added some nutmeg to the glaze with the cinnamon & it is really good, I ate 2 pieces. I've got a family reunion next Saturday & this is the cake I'm taking. Thanks Choc!:)

I made this yesterday too, but made the glaze a maple glaze. It was fantastic. (Some of you may know about my addiction to maple).

Oho. That makes more sense than maple syrup. :cool: I've never seen maple extract before.

Alix said:
(Some of you may know about my addiction to maple).
Seems we share this "affliction" :LOL: (Maple) Extract is out of reach on this end, but the bigger stores sometimes have real maple syrup (not the best I've had, but better than nothing!) :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom