wife's birthday, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paddfoot

Assistant Cook
the only baking i've ever had success with has been cc cookies, now i have to bake a chocolate cake, where do i start........

You know what, forget that. I would be ECSTATIC if my husband bought and made a Duncan Hines cake!! LOL Oil, eggs and water, mix, bake, frost, done, lol

the only baking i've ever had success with has been cc cookies, now i have to bake a chocolate cake, where do i start........

I always recommend Hershey's Black Magic Cake for beginners or for people who have trouble baking cakes. It's easy and foolproof. Great taste and texture. Will PM the recipe to you, along with my notes if you're interested.

My daddy always made cakes for me and my mom. He used a box mix, followed the instructions to the "T", and they were always good.
He usually conned someone someone else into decorating it. Mom made mine pretty, and, since I have never had a steady hand, same as my dad, I just put plenty of icing on Mom's.

I'll never forget the first cake I made her, when I was about 10 years old. I didn't read the part about waiting for the cake to cool before I frosted it, and when I did, it immediately fell into quarters. She wiped away my tears, and served the cake with vanilla ice cream.

I always recommend Hershey's Black Magic Cake for beginners or for people who have trouble baking cakes. It's easy and foolproof. Great taste and texture. Will PM the recipe to you, along with my notes if you're interested.
that would be great, my skill level may not be that of a seasoned pastry chef but i do want to try more than the box

Make a chocoloate mayonnaise cake. It's easy and and oh so moist:

Dry Ingredients:

2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup of Sugar
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 cup of unsweetened Cocoa Powder

Wet Ingredients:

1 Cup of Mayonaise
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract</B>

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add all of the wet ingredients. Mix well with a wire whisk until the batter is smooth.

mayo-cake-batter.jpg

Pour into the 9 x 13 baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

mayo-cake-batter-in-pan.jpg

Check by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until done.

finished-mayo-cake.jpg

Frost with whipped peanut butter icing or your favorite Chocolate Cake Icing.

Make a chocoloate mayonnaise cake. It's easy and and oh so moist:

Dry Ingredients:

2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup of Sugar
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 cup of unsweetened Cocoa Powder

Wet Ingredients:

1 Cup of Mayonaise
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract</B>

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add all of the wet ingredients. Mix well with a wire whisk until the batter is smooth.

mayo-cake-batter.jpg

Pour into the 9 x 13 baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

mayo-cake-batter-in-pan.jpg

Check by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until done.

finished-mayo-cake.jpg

Frost with whipped peanut butter icing or your favorite Chocolate Cake Icing.
sounded great, i tried it and it was a great success, especially concidering the low expectations that were imposed on me...:dry:

I know I haven't posted in like ages. I'm AllenOK's better half.

My fav was Chocolate but I have found since I moved down to Oklahoma, His grandmother makes this cake and OMG it's sooo good! It's a Yellow cake mix and she uses mandarin oranges and cool whip I think. She makes it just almost like my grandmother used to make when I was little. This cake though has to be put in the fridge. But it's my honestly personal favorite.

I have been nagging for her to make it for my birthday but she hasn't yet lol.

I hope your wife has a very nice birthday. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom