Able to freeze shortbread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superchef69

Assistant Cook
I live in Australia. I want to make my traditional shortbread. It's an old Scottish recipe with brown sugar, plain flour, and butter and I am afraid that in the high temperatures and humidity that we get here between now and Christmas, the shortbread will go mouldy or that the butter will go rancid. Can shortbread be successfully frozen? I wouldn't want to do all the kneading and find that the end product was inedible. Would love any assistance. Thanks

I'm not sure but I would have thought that you would be able to freeze the raw pastry. We don't do biscuits very often but I'll have a look in my stuff when I get a tic and if I find anything, I'll post again.

OK...Will freezing interfere with the melding of the flavors?

My shortbread (butter, sugar, flour) gets better with age. Recipe says it will last 6 weeks. Longest we have been able to hide them is a month.
It is humid here even with the drought.

:)They will freeze with no problem I freeze all sorts of baked cookies and I freeze tart shells made with shortbread and they freeze great.Just be sure they are completely cooled and freeze in ziploc bags or air tight containers.
They should keep for several months.
When you take them out of freezer be sure to take out of container to let thaw.

Thanks for your help and ideas. I'll go ahead soon (before it gets really hot) and still have enough time to snitch some from the tins.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom