Adjusting time / temp when using Silpats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
I just got a set of Silpats and I'm attenpting to make Toll House Cookies. I baked the first sheet at 350 for 11 minutes and they came out flat as a pancake and gooey. Do I need to change baking time or temp to get a good rise out of the cookie?

Not sure, Chris. I use my Silpat when I remember to use it, and I don't think I've done tollhouse using it.

Tollhouse cookies have a lot of fat (marg or butter) in them, and it could be that you need that contact w/metal to heat up and bake some of the "gooey" out. I suspect that Silpat insulates from some of that and you need to get your cookies hotter (via contact with a hotter cookie sheet) so they don't spread so badly.

everytime I made tollhouse cookies, mine spread to much also.. I switched to butter flavor crisco ( I know, not good for you) and I refrigerated the dough for several hours or overnight, and they did not spread as much :)

Yea, I think you're right. I also forgot to mention that I am using Airbake cookie sheets in conjunction with the Silpats. I'll bet the bottoms don't get nearly as hot as they should this way.

If you use butter, the cookies tend to spread, as Debbie said. That's because butter has a very low melting point so it starts to melt, causing the cookie to spread out before the dough has a chance to set.

You can switch to butter flavored Crisco or, stick with the butter and take the following steps:

1. Chill the batter before placing them on the cookie sheets.
  2. Chill the cookie sheets.
  3. Bake the cookies.
  4. Keep the dough in the fridge between batches
  5. Re-chill the cookie sheets between batches.
With the butter and the cookie sheets colder, the butter is slower to melt, giving the cookies a chance to set before they spread.

A silpat is a silicone impregnated liner for a cookie sheet that is very slippery and is used in place of parchment paper to keep baked goods from sticking.

Thank you for the explination Andy. I've seen those, just didn't know that's what they were called.

silpats

The Silpats say not to use with an insulated cookie sheet. I use a heavy jelly roll pan and my cookies have turned out great (so far) :) Good luck!

robinz said:
stupid question but what's a silpat?

I have the same question. I'm assuming it is a sheet of that bakeable silicone that you see in alot of new bakeware.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom