"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Andy's Chocolate Chip Cookies

About 40 years ago, maybe longer, I came across the Neiman Marcus chocolate chip recipe. I had been making it since then and generally liked it. There are a number of different versions of this recipe online.

For a long time I just used the recipe as is. Then I started to fiddle with it. The recipe called for 3 or 4 ounces of shaved milk chocolate in addition to the usual chocolate chips. I felt this milk chocolate masked the other flavors in the cookie so I eliminated it. Some of you may remember I had an issue with this recipe last year which I finally resolved.

The results were good but I decided to make one more change. I cut back on the flour a little so the cookies wouldn't be as cakey. Yesterday's batch turned out really good.

Please note I am not claiming this is the greatest chocolate chip recipe ever created. It's just the one I really like. Not too chewy, not to cakey, not too crispy, etc.

In response to a request, I'm sharing the recipe here.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

½ Lb Butter-softened
1 C Sugar
1 C Light Brown Sugar
2 Lg Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
2½ C Oatmeal, blended to a powder
220 Gr Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
12 Oz Chocolate Chips
1½ C Chopped Walnuts or Pecans

Cream the butter and sugars together for 3 minutes.

Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Combine the blended oatmeal with the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this mixture to the butter and sugars and combine.

Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.

Refrigerate the bowl of cookie dough for a minimum of 60 minutes before portioning.

Preheat the oven 375ºF.

Portion the cookie dough into 40 gram balls and arrange them on half sheet pans/cookie sheets.

Bake for 12 minutes. Rotate the pans and swap shelves after 6 minutes.

Return the bowl of cookie dough to the fridge between batches, rinse the half sheet pans/cookie sheets under cold water and dry them off before reloading them.

Makes 43 cookies.

Note: Chilling the dough and the cookie sheets keeps the cookies from spreading out too much in the oven.

From: The Infamous Neiman-Marcus Cookie Recipe with modifications
Old 03-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Cupcake

I love cookies with oat flour!!!!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
Certified/Certifiable

And fur your next trick, add crispy, but not hard, bacon bits to your cookie dough. Alternately, add butterscotch chips. Play with that already great looking recipe.

I did that to the Toll House recipe. Wife thought I was crazy. Guests gobbled them up much faster than the original recipe, or other cookies I made. Just sayin'.

Seeeeya; Cief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
Everymom

Thanks Andy. I use this recipe too, but I did rough buzz in the food processor with the oatmeal, never to a powder. I'm going to try your way. I also removed the shaved chocolate finding it too overwhelming flavour wise. Since we have nut allergies in the family I subbed coconut for the nuts. its a nice chewy variation if you like that sort of thing.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
Everymom

Andy, you're a great big jerk for making these cookies irresistible. Mean. But thanks, your refinements made a delicious cookie something special.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Andy, you're a great big jerk for making these cookies irresistible. Mean. But thanks, your refinements made a delicious cookie something special.

I owe you that and more for all the lemon desserts you made me make and stuff my face with, Lemon Lady.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Andy, Alix, you two are cracking me up.

Tags
brown sugar, choc. chips, chocolate, cook, cookie, cookies, recipe, vanilla, walnuts

Andy's Chocolate Chip Cookies About 40 years ago, maybe longer, I came across the Neiman Marcus chocolate chip recipe. I had been making it since then and generally liked it. There are a number of different versions of this recipe online. For a long time I just used the recipe as is. Then I started to fiddle with it. The recipe called for 3 or 4 ounces of shaved milk chocolate in addition to the usual chocolate chips. I felt this milk chocolate masked the other flavors in the cookie so I eliminated it. Some of you may remember I had an issue with this recipe last year which I finally resolved. The results were good but I decided to make one more change. I cut back on the flour a little so the cookies wouldn't be as cakey. Yesterday's batch turned out really good. Please note I am not claiming this is the greatest chocolate chip recipe ever created. It's just the one I really like. Not too chewy, not to cakey, not too crispy, etc. In response to a request, I'm sharing the recipe here. CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ½ Lb Butter-softened 1 C Sugar 1 C Light Brown Sugar 2 Lg Eggs 1 tsp Vanilla 2½ C Oatmeal, blended to a powder 220 Gr Flour 1 tsp Baking Powder 1 tsp Baking Soda ½ tsp Salt 12 Oz Chocolate Chips 1½ C Chopped Walnuts or Pecans Cream the butter and sugars together for 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Combine the blended oatmeal with the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this mixture to the butter and sugars and combine. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts. Refrigerate the bowl of cookie dough for a minimum of 60 minutes before portioning. Preheat the oven 375ºF. Portion the cookie dough into 40 gram balls and arrange them on half sheet pans/cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes. Rotate the pans and swap shelves after 6 minutes. Return the bowl of cookie dough to the fridge between batches, rinse the half sheet pans/cookie sheets under cold water and dry them off before reloading them. Makes 43 cookies. Note: Chilling the dough and the cookie sheets keeps the cookies from spreading out too much in the oven. From: The Infamous Neiman-Marcus Cookie Recipe with modifications 3 stars 1 reviews