Anzac Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
On the 25th of this month we Aussies and Kiwis will celebrate Anzac Day to remember our fallen soldiers, especially those from WW1. ANZAC stands for Australian & New Zealand Army Corps and the biscuits name came from when our women folk made these biscuits and sent them off to the troops in WW1. Simple to make and easy to eat so have a go and see what you think.

Traditional biscuits

'Wet ingredients' - 1
125 grams butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup

'Wet ingredients' - 2
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda

Dry ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
Method:

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a saucepan gently melt the butter then add the golden syrup and heat, stirring until thoroughly combined. Put the baking soda in a cup or small bowl then pour in the boiling tablespoon of water.

Pour this foaming mixture into the warm butter/golden syrup mixture and stir to incorporate - it will foam up. Now gradually add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring well to incorporate.

Place walnut size pieces of the dough on a buttered oven tray and then press down with the back of a fork to flatten.

Bake at 175 degrees C for approx 17 mins.

Funny, I was thinking of making some in the next few days. Won't be including the coconut though. If I do make them, going to go for the soft and chewy style! YUM!!

Can you explain what golden syrup is? Is that Honey?

Wow! It's so common you must just know it by another name. It's not honey - it's... well... golden syrup. Like treacle, but not so strong or sticky. I'll google it for you and see what the equivilent is.

Ok, so here's a link to what it looks like:

Chelsea Sugar - New Zealand, Refining Sugar NZ, Cooking with Sugar, New Zealand Sugar Company, Baking recipes with Sugar, Dessert recipes nz, Sugar products NZ, Sugar and Diabetes NZ, Sugar and Exercise Nz, Sugar production, Sugar New Zealand (Goodness - edited to wonder what happened to my link!? It wasn't that long when I typed it!)

It appears it's not easiy available in America, and there's not a common substitute. You're really missing out! I guess you could use treacle?
(On the other hand, while corn syrup is available here, it's not common)

Chelsea Sugar - New Zealand, Refining Sugar NZ, Cooking with Sugar, New Zealand Sugar Company, Baking recipes with Sugar, Dessert recipes nz, Sugar products NZ, Sugar and Diabetes NZ, Sugar and Exercise Nz, Sugar production, Sugar New Zealand (Goodness - edited to wonder what happened to my link!? It wasn't that long when I typed it!)

It appears it's not easiy available in America, and there's not a common substitute. You're really missing out! I guess you could use treacle?

You're not going to like this ;) I don't think treacle is widely available here, either. I don't remember ever seeing it, although I don't bake much, so I wouldn't be looking for it. Might have to use molasses.

You're not going to like this ;) I don't think treacle is widely available here, either.

:shock: That's it, I'm never moving to America. Or... if I do... I'll bring a crate or so with me :)

So what do you use for brandy snaps? Or for a nice, sticky ginger cake? I can't imagine either of my recipes without golden syrup.

:shock: That's it, I'm never moving to America. Or... if I do... I'll bring a crate or so with me :)

So what do you use for brandy snaps? Or for a nice, sticky ginger cake? I can't imagine either of my recipes without golden syrup.

Heh - I had to look up brandy snaps - never heard of them :huh: And apparently we make ginger cake with mild molasses: Fresh Ginger Cake Recipe at Epicurious.com I really don't bake much, so maybe someone else will come along and comment.

My understanding is that treacle and golden syrup is basically the same stuff only one is more processed than the other. I guess molasses fit somewhere in there too.

Got to make brandy snaps if you ever get the opportunity. They are so yummy filled with strawberries and cream.... <sigh> Possibly my favourite dessert. But I really love them when they haven't turned out correctly and are all warm and floppy!!

Actually, thinking about it, most of my favourite sweets, biscuits and cakes contain Golden Syrup!! ... and yet, I make none of them... go figure!

You're not going to like this ;) I don't think treacle is widely available here, either. I don't remember ever seeing it, although I don't bake much, so I wouldn't be looking for it. Might have to use molasses.

Molasses might be a bit strong I think, perhaps 50/50 molasses and honey could be worth a try.

Thanks for the info. That web listing gives an excellent description of golden syrup, it made my mouth water.

I am going to look at the brandy snaps link now, because I can telll I"m going to LOVE em. Anything with brandy is a hit for me. ;) Plus, bilby's talk about strawberries and cream has me absolutely weak. And sticky ginger cake? That's right up my alley. I'll take sticky, gooey, or custardy over chocolatey any day.. especially with berries!

Back
Top Bottom