Anzac Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
For MJ

1/3 cup softened butter
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp water
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup oats

Mix with your hands, roll into balls and flatten gently. Bake at 300 for 12 - 15 minutes.

It can't be an Anzac biscuit without golden syrup! And coconut is traditional as well.

1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup coconut
125g butter
1 tblsp treacle or golden syrup
2 tblsp boiling water
1 tsp bicarb soda

Melt the butter, add the syrup (or treacle), water and soda.
Combine the flour, sugar, oats and coconut and add to the butter/syrup mixture.
Drop spoonfuls onto a greased baking tray, leaving lots of room for the biscuits to spread.
Bake in moderate oven for 10-15 minutes.

Hey Haggis, thanks for adding your two cents! To explain my recipe, no coconut is because of allergies in the family, I sometimes add it in if the allergic ones are away. And the honey we have found makes a softer biscuit than the golden syrup, and it is easier to find in most places. I may try your version.

Thanks Alix. You RAWK! :cool:

I am going to try these (and 2 others) this weekend and let you know how they turned out. It sounds good! :)

jkath said:
is golden syrup the same thing as Light Molasses?

No! Golden syrup isn't even like our corn syrup. It has a unique buttery flavor. No substitutes in the U.S.

Haggis, my recipe is almost identical to yours.

ANZAC BISCUITS

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ desiccated coconut
1 stick butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoon boiling water

PREHEAT the oven to 300 degrees.

COMBINE the oats, sifted flour, sugar, and coconut in a large bowl.

COMBINE the butter and golden syrup in a pan, stir over low heat until the butter is melted.

COMBINE the soda and water; add to the butter mixture, then stir into the dry ingredients immediately.

ROLL mixture into 1-inch balls and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Lightly flatten each ball.

BAKE for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the cookies from the sheets and cool on racks. Store in tightly covered container.

Thats a good enough reason as any not to include coconut Alix :P.

Golden syrup really does have a unique flavour, havent tasted anything quite like it. Also due to the close ties in traditional cooking between Australia and Britain alot of our baking uses golden syrup. But also the availability would be a problem, though it is very common here. You might have some luck looking for golden syrup under the names of 'cane juice', 'sugar cane syrup' or 'light treacle' according to www.foodsubs.com

Sometimes I am tempted to divide the batch in half and bake one half properly until crisp, and the other half undercook slightly so they are soft and chewy.

Last edited:
Y'know, Rogers is who makes our golden syrup. I never realized it wasn't widely available in the US.

Do you not have Golden Cane Syrup there at all? I think this stuff is MADE in the US, why wouldn't you be able to buy it there? Weird.

OK, I just checked, its made in BC, forget everything I just said. LOL

Last edited:
Alix, I think it depends on the market area. Here I can find it at a number of different stores ... independents and chains like Cost Plus World Market.

Alix said:
For MJ

1/3 cup softened butter
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp water
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup oats

Mix with your hands, roll into balls and flatten gently. Bake at 300 for 12 - 15 minutes.
Someone pinch me. I just made these, and I love them! It's hard to eat just six. I am going to make these often. Very quick and easy with great results!

Thank you Alix.:)

You forgot the coconut!

Just realized you didn't use golden syrup either. Not really Anzac Biscuits. :ermm:

I definitely agree with Hanart. Your biscuits might be yummy, but they are absolutely NOT genuine Anzac biscuits. Do not substitute anything else for the golden syrup - it's what gives them their unique flavour. And the coconut is essential, too.

Here's the Dinkum Article! (real thing.) They were originally developed back in 1915 for the Aussie soldiers at Gallipoli, because they kept and transported well. Traditionally, they should be a bit rounded and softish, but I prefer mine very crisp, so I flatten them a lot. They spread quite a bit when flattened.

The bicarbonate of soda should be fresh. The butter/syrup mixture should really froth up when the bicarb is added.

Anzac Biscuits

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup rolled oats

125g butter

1 tablespoon golden syrup

1 cup coconut

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1 tablespoon boiling water

Combine dry ingredients. Gently melt butter and syrup together, stir bicarbonate of soda into the water, then add it to the butter and syrup mixture. Pour all into dry ingredients, mix well. Roll into small balls, then flatten slightly, and place onto a baking tray (or drop by teaspoonfuls), leaving room for spreading. Bake at 160C (325F) for 20 minutes.

MJ, glad you like them. They are way quick and easy, and I can't stop at six either!

OK daisy, scroll back in the thread and read why this recipe has been edited (both the coconut and the golden syrup). You will also find other versions of the recipe.

LMAO, you folks are passionate about your cookies!

Just to stir the pot, I am going to say that I have tried several versions of this cookie and don't find that the golden syrup makes a big flavour difference. *alix runs away quickly as HanArt and daisy chase her with a wooden spoon*

Last edited:
Alix said:
Just to stir the pot, I am going to say that I have tried several versions of this cookie and don't find that the golden syrup makes a big flavour difference. *alix runs away quickly as HanArt and daisy chase her with a wooden spoon*

Hey, it's your choice, but you're not making Anzac Biscuits.

Be like making chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate, oatmeal cookies without the oatmeal, a banana split without bananas, grilled cheese sandwich without the cheese, etc., etc. :LOL:

HanArt said:
Hey, it's your choice, but you're not making Anzac Biscuits.

Be like making chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate, oatmeal cookies without the oatmeal, a banana split without bananas, grilled cheese sandwich without the cheese, etc., etc. :LOL:

Ya, ya, ya, but its as close as I get without going to the ER with my daughter! I will take what I can get. LOL

Back
Top Bottom