Butter in cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budron

Assistant Cook
Easy question for someone, does it matter if you use salted or unsalted butter in cookie recipes if not specified. thanks

You will most likely get several different answers to your question, but, If the recipe dosen't specify, I use what I have...Even at times where it says unsalted If I'm without I use salted, and just cut down the amount of salt called for in the recipe.
kadesma:)

budron said:
Easy question for someone, does it matter if you use salted or unsalted butter in cookie recipes if not specified. thanks
Growing up, we only had salted butter in the house and used that. Everything turned out fine.

OTOH, when I went to professional baking classes, they said absolutely! to only use UNsalted butter, so you could control the amount of salt you add, and because salted butter does not clarify. So I switched to unsalted butter, and now that's the only kind I ever buy or use.

I'm not sure if one is better than the other for cookies, per se. Why don't you try out two batches side by side and see whether you can tell the difference?

I use unsalted because that is all I buy - I don't know if it would make a difference or not - listen to ChefJune and experiment - make sure you let us know!

I use unsalted, but have used salted and never really noticed a difference. Just cut back on salt if your recipe calls for it.

ChefJune said:
OTOH, when I went to professional baking classes, they said absolutely! to only use UNsalted butter, so you could control the amount of salt you add, and because salted butter does not clarify.

June,
Maybe I am being dense, but could you explain what it means that the butter does not clarify?

I am just curious, as I generally use salted and find myself baking more and more.

-Brad

I use unsalted butter for baking. IMO salted butter makes cookies and cakes less sweet (unless of course you have put too much sugar initially and want to mask it somewhat). Also the amount of salt in butter varies from brand to brand so it's wise to use unsalted butter and then add a little salt if the recipe calls for it. This way, you can control the amount in the mixture.

i don't know how many tens or hundeds of gallons of clarified butter i've made over the course of years using salted butter, both at home and professonally. never seemed to have any problems at all. worked fine at the saute station as well as for hollandaise. in the pantry, i'd do a slight reduction of the salt for a genoise, but mainly because i figured i ought to. to tell the truth, i doubt most people could tell the difference unless they could taste two products side by side.
icon12.gif

I use unsalted for all baking (simply cos my Mum did it that way!) but use a great French butter with tiny grains of salt for spreading on bread!

Ishbel said:
I use unsalted for all baking (simply cos my Mum did it that way!) but use a great French butter with tiny grains of salt for spreading on bread!
I'd better not EVER know what that butter is, Ish, because I'm sure it would get me to eating even more bread than I already do, and that would be a BAD thing :rolleyes: .

mudbug said:
Ishbel, it's not nice for you to torture us Yanks, you know.

What can I say? Our near proximity to mainland Europe is a real joy to us British folk!:LOL:

Honestly, if you can EVER get your hands on some Bridel... spend the dosh, it's well worth it!

Ishbel, if they ever come up with a matter transmitter, you're going to get up one morning and find me sitting in your garden, waiting for a cup of tea and a slice of bread and butter.

I generally use salted butter for everything. If I'm planning to make candy or something like that, I buy un-salted butter. But if I do it spur of the moment, I'll use the salted butter, and it's fine.
I've always been told I was a great cook, but my standards certainly aren't as high as some of yours. I learn from you all every day.

mudbug said:
Izzy, is it French?

Yes, it's French, Mudbug. It really IS my favourite 'eating' butter - and I tend to use President unsalted for cooking. I used to love Danish Lurpak slightly salted butter until I tried Bridel on a trip to France many years ago. Luckily, my local supermarket stocks lots and lots of butters. Another 'eating' butter I really like is made in the Orkney Isles of Scotland.

Constance: and if I find you at the end of the garden (you might find it a bit difficult to sit there comfortably, cos that's where the greenhouse and compost heaps are situated!) I'll just bring you out a pot of tea and a couple of home-made scones or some home-made granary bread. Do you prefer Earl Grey or Assam tea?!

Back
Top Bottom