Chocolate Brownie Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I found this recipe for Chocolate Brownie Cookies on Bon Apetit’s website. The pic looks wonderful, and I’d love to try making them, but I’d never heard of cacao nibs. I looked them up, so I kinda know what they are, and I checked Sprouts; they carry them. They’re a bit pricey, though, for me. A relatively small amount is almost $8.00.

My questions are: Do these cacao nibs serve a purpose, other than texture and flavor (i.e. will they not turn out right if I omit them), and is there a less expensive substitution?

Last edited:
I would leave them out or substitute some miniature chocolate chips or chopped nuts for a little additional flavor and texture.

I agree - the nibs are not needed BUT some vanilla is and the addition of some chopped walnuts would be lovely.

Thanks, Aunt Beaand Janet H for your input! I was so obsessed with the nib thing, I didn’t even notice the absence of vanilla! I’ll add, what, a teaspoon?

Why start with a recipe that you have to rework before you can use it? I recommend searching for another recipe.

I picked up some nibs fairly cheap quite a while back, but when I used them in a recipe, I really didn't notice anything, either.

I'm amazed at how much they have gone up, considering how little they seemed to add to the brownies. I use most of them now for adding a chocolate flavor to tea. I won't buy them again.

The cacao nibs may be added to the recipe for the health benefits: Cacao nibs are the raw material used to make both cocoa powder and dark chocolate – so they have similar antioxidant benefits to those two superfoods. That means that cacao nibs are a great source of flavanols, a family of heart-healthy antioxidants that help relax your blood vessels and lower your blood pressure.

Back
Top Bottom