Chocolate chip bars!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup COLD butter
2 cups chocolate chips

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condenced milk
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts ( I used coconut instead)

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together flour and brown sugar and the cut in the cold butter
until it is crumbly.

Stir in 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips.

Press into an ungreased 9x13 glass baking dish

Bake for 15 minutes

Mix milk, vanilla, egg and nuts or coconut and the rest of the chocolate chips. and pour over warm crust.
Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.

REALLY GOOD warm!!!
:) :)

Last edited:
Looks like a winner for my guys:LOL: They will fall all over themselves to get to these! Thanks,
kadesma

Thank you thank you thank you! My Aunt Elsie used to make these all the time, and I never got the recipe!

They are sooooooooooooo good! :D

Since I can't make up my mind, I'm going to use half nuts, half coconut. I suppose I'm a fence rider, or as my mother says, I suffer from indecisive indecision.

You're welcome! Hope you like them. I'm trying to wait until tonight to have a few with a dish of vanilla ice cream.

They sound yummy and I wonder, since there's brown sugar, if butterscotch chips might be good instead of chocolate chips. Then use half nuts and half coconut. Tinker. Tinker. Tinker. Just thinking out loud.

Here's a recipe that is sort of a chocolate chip bar one. I got it from one of my favorite aunts when I was in high school. She is one of the best cooks I've ever knows. These bars fly off the tables at bake sales, too. It's that time of the year, so maybe those of you out there who are looking for something different for your bake sale might want to give these great bars a try.

TREASURE CHEST BARS
(Makes 48 bars)​
Bars:
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup margarine, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup milk
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Frosting:
¼ cup margarine
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. milk

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, mix sugars and cream into margarine. Blend in eggs, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Blend well. Stir in nuts, cherries and chocolate chips. Spread in a greased jellyroll pan. Bake in preheated 325º oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and frost while slightly warm.

To prepare frosting, brown margarine lightly in a small skillet. Remove from heat and blend in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk. Frost bars.

When bars are frosted and completely cooled, cut into squares.

so... would it be horridly evil of me to go frost the bars I made?

This frosting sounds good Katie. Does it firm up pretty well or stay soft?

pdswife said:
so... would it be horridly evil of me to go frost the bars I made?

This frosting sounds good Katie. Does it firm up pretty well or stay soft?

It really doesn't firm up. It kind of stays creamy. I could eat the whole tray of Treasure Chest Bars all by myself they are so good. And, as you might guess, they're really pretty, too. The red of the cherries, the color of the nuts and the chocolate chips look like jewels. I just happened to think that to add more color, you could use half red maraschino cherries and half green ones. Not candied cherries, but maraschino. We have the green ones in our stores in my area.

Well...since I really made these for David and Paul to take hunting with them this weekend, I'll skip the frosting. Kind of messy to take hiking. I'll be frosting the next batch though.

Oh and the butterscotch chips do sound good! Really good.
I love it when people tinker with recipes and make them their own.
I've never followed a recipe in my life. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom