Dragees...Edible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, I've seen stuff online that confuses me...Are dragees edible? Or are some edible and others not? I thought they were all made of sugar.

fyi for those wondering...dragees are decoration pieces the size of a BB, that can be used on cookies and cakes. I'm specifically talking about the gold/pearl/silver dragees.

Thanks a bunch!:)

Thanks! I wonder why some says they are edible and others arent...I think they are both made of sugar. I'm wondering if it's just because they are really hard and can mabye (?) chip a tooth...(?)

Hey Shunka! I was just about to reply when I saw your post! I agree, we used to eat them on cookies and cupcakes when we were kids, too.

Apparently now the FDA cites the fact that they contain heavy metals which can make them harmful to your health. (I'm wondering how many you'd have to eat for them to be harmful?):rolleyes:

htc, There are dragees that are white, and other are "pearlized" which apparently don't contain heavy metals.

Here one source for the pearl-type if you'd like to look at them:
http://chefshop.com/itemdesc.asp?Camefrom=Search&Root=itemDesc&CartId=12513-EVEREST-697CHMID79&ic=3024&tpcZZZ=

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom