Help me with this recipe, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Sugar Cookies

5 lbs. shortening
10 c sugar, 4# 11
2 ½ c easy eggs
2 Tbsps. vanilla extract
…….

20 c flour, 5# 13
5 tsps. cream of tartar, ¾ oz.
5 tsps. salt, ½ oz.

Combine together dry ingredients, set aside.
Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Scrape bowl and mix again.
Add dry ingredients and mix well.
When ready to bake, dip each cookie in coarse sugar, either blue or regular.
Bake 16 minutes at 300 degrees f., until lightly brown at the edges.
Yield 11 dozen, 2 oz. cookies.

I am not sure where I got this recipe, but I found in my files folder. Couple of questions. First: what are those ##? 4# 11 and the 5# 13? Would anybody have any idea?

Second.This is obviously a commercial recipe. Can someone help me scale down to maybe a dozen or two cookies.

Thank you in advance.

Sugar Cookies

5 lbs. shortening
10 c sugar, 4# 11
2 ½ c easy eggs
2 Tbsps. vanilla extract
…….

20 c flour, 5# 13
5 tsps. cream of tartar, ¾ oz.
5 tsps. salt, ½ oz.

Combine together dry ingredients, set aside.
Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Scrape bowl and mix again.
Add dry ingredients and mix well.
When ready to bake, dip each cookie in coarse sugar, either blue or regular.
Bake 16 minutes at 300 degrees f., until lightly brown at the edges.
Yield 11 dozen, 2 oz. cookies.

I am not sure where I got this recipe, but I found in my files folder. Couple of questions. First: what are those ##? 4# 11 and the 5# 13? Would anybody have any idea?

Second.This is obviously a commercial recipe. Can someone help me scale down to maybe a dozen or two cookies.

Thank you in advance.

For approximately 2 dozen...

1 lb shortening
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup eggs (probably about 2-3, depending on the size of your eggs)
1 1/4 tsp vanilla (or a tad more)

4 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt.

Honestly CharlieD, I wouldn't go there. Too complicated to bother with. I agree with Jennyema and find another cookie recipe more to your requirements

Bit full on for cookies, to make less just half all the ingredients. Good luck let me know who they turn out.

What that says is that 10 cups of sugar should weigh 4 pounds (#) 11 ounces and 20 cups of flour should weigh 5 pounds 13 ounces.
You have the option of measuring by volume in cups or by weight in pounds and ounces. They listed it both ways.

The conversation that I did was by volume. If you want if by weight, let us know and i'll convert the weight measurements.

Last edited:
Whatever you did is perfect. I just didn't know what it meant. Thank you very much. My DW will try to make them tomorrow. Will see what happens. Thank you again

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom