Help with cookies needed ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I just mixed a batch of dough for Snickerdoodles and discovered that I put 1 tsp. of baking powder instead of baking soda into the mixture. Will this be okay? What can I do to help it's along? It' in the refrigerator chilling.

Thanks.

Just add about 3/4 tsp. of baking soda and proceed as usual. Baking powder contains baking soda and other stuff. A measure of powder has about 1/4 of the soda.

If it's "double-acting" baking powder, the difference is in the activation with heat. Since you'r recipe called for baking soda, there's likely an acid ingredient of some sort, lemon juice, etc. That causes a reaction at room temperature to release carbon dioxide and lighted the dough. Baking powder has it's own acid included with the soda, so it works in recipes with no added acid. The double-acting kind has an additional acid that's activated by heat, causing a second release of carbon dioxide in the oven. In that kind of cookie, it's unlikely to cause any serious problem. Trying to correct it now is pretty unpredictable, but I'd go with the previous advice and add more baking soda. Baking powder is mostly tartar. You have so far only added 1/3 tsp of baking soda. When the correct amount of baking powder is substituted for baking soda, the final difference is mostly in the flavor. I have no idea of what this will mean in terms of trying to add it now. Might be better to just let it go. I could see it being a mess trying to completely distribute more baking soda into chilled dough.

I had just put it into the ref. and did add the soda as advised. Today has not been a great one for me in the kitchen. I managed to slice myself right through one of my fingernails.

Thanks for the advice. BTY the cookies came out okay.

Back
Top Bottom