How to make fried Oreos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chocoholic

Senior Cook
I found this on a web site. Looks...interesting

Ingredients:
Oreo cookies (duh)
Pancake flour
Milk
Cooking oil
Eggs

10 Easy Steps to Make 19 Fried Oreo Cookies

Step 1: Measure out 1 cup of pancake flour. Resist temptation to start food fight with flour; instead empty it into mixing bowl.

Step 2: Add one egg into your pancake flour. If you're an expert like me, crack the egg with one hand while manning a digital camera with the other. (If you get egg shell pieces in your flour, no worries, I hear they give the batter a crunchy texture.)

Step 3: Add in one cup of milk. Easy does it. (Shoo cat, the milk's not for you.)

Step 4: Next add in two teaspoons of cooking oil into your batter.

Step 5: Stir your pancake batter until all ingredients are well mixed. You could use your hands to do this but I highly recommend using something called a spoon.

Step 6: Stir mixture until its consistency is smooth. If you think stirring pancake batter is boring, think of it as a video game in which your mission is to stamp out all those bastardly flour lumps with your silver ray gun (a.k.a. the spoon).

Step 7: Next, fill up a saucepan with enough oil to cover your Oreo cookies when you dip them in. The original recipe told me to preheat the oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. But honestly, do people actually measure the temperature of their cooking oil?? Do these culinary nerds actually exist?

Step 8: Now it's time to dip your Oreo cookies into the pancake batter and watch them drown, I mean, swim in it while the oil is preheating.

(Step... what step are we at now? Oh yes, 9.)

Step 9: Carefully release your soaking Oreo captives into the hot oil. If you really aren't sure if the oil is hot enough before you put the cookies in, just let a few drops of the batter trickle from the spoon into the oil and see if they start frying.

If you're still not convinced that the oil is hot enough, dip your finger in.

(Thank me later.)

Witness the magic of Oreo cookies being deep fried! Look at how they're bloating up like puffer fish! At about this time the cookies will start to release a delicious aroma that is not too different from that of freshly baked chocolate cake. Slurp!

Step 10: The Oreos don't need to be in the oil for more than two minutes tops. Before they start burning, scoop the cookies out from the oil with a spatula, but let the excess oil drain first at the side of the saucepan. Then place the fried cookies onto a serviette-lined plate that will further absorb the oil.

There you go, fried Oreo cookies! They look ugly don't they? But don't let their bad looks fool you; they smell too wonderful to resist. And may I remind you that it is imperative that you savor these fried delights not too long after you take them out of the oil; cold fried Oreos suck!

I find that if you don't want your batter coating to look all runny on the Oreos when you're done frying them (like mine did on the first day), refrigerate the pancake batter for a while to allow it to solidify slightly. Your fried cookies will turn out nicer looking.

This Oreo recipe can make up to 19-20 fried Oreo cookies. If you wish to make more, increase your ingredient measurement proportionately.

You may sprinkle fine powdered sugar over your fried Oreos if you like. I read that from somewhere. But really, fried Oreos alone are artery-choking enough without the extra sugar.

they are actually pretty darn good. oh... and when you scoop them out of the oil... please don't do so with your hand like the bf almost did !

middie said:
they are actually pretty darn good. oh... and when you scoop them out of the oil... please don't do so with your hand like the bf almost did !

LOL! He must have been awfully excited to try one!:rolleyes:

A delicacy supposedly 'invented' in Glasgow is the deep-fried Mars Bar (is that a US Milky Way, I'm not sure), sold at fish and chip shops... The same batter as is used to coat the fish is used on the mars bar - it is then deep fried. So, you can have a perfectly balanced 2 course meal - deep fried fish n chips and a mars bar for dessert!

Although I have never tasted them myself I confess that I have fried a couple for overseas family members who laughed and didn't believe the adverts in the windows of some fish n chip shops which reads 'Deep Fried Mars Bars on sale HERE'...

. Put the Mars bars in the freezer until they are almost, but not quite frozen. Make up a slightly 'stiff' coating batter. Coat bar in the batter. Deep fry until puffed and golden. Serve.... carefully, or the toffee layer will spurt out and give you a nasty burn...

Is it any wonder that Scotland is considered the heart attack capital of Europe?:mrgreen:

I haven't seen fried Oreos, but did see dipped Oreo's the other night - white chocolate, dark and milk chocolate, covered in almonds, pecans, etc. They were very fat so I have not idea how many times they had been dunked. Decadent to say the least. I left them there. I hardly ever eat regular Oreos unless gs is here with me for a snack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom