ISO: Arrowroot cookie recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
I miss them, I miss them, lol - I miss "baby cookies". The gals in my family (of all ages) love to snack on them, but the closest Irish cousin I can find (to date) to an arrowroot "baby cookie" is a "tea biscuit" which doesn't list arrowroot on the package, or taste the same. I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of making these sorts of dry cookies at home? (Millions of thanks in advance :))

• I haven't made these, but they
  • sure do sound like the yummy baby cookies!!

• Arrowroot Biscuits
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Cream butter or margarine and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla.
  2. Stir remaining ingredients together and add. Mix well.
  3. Roll 1/8 inch thick on floured surface. Cut into 2 1/2 inch rounds. Prick with fork. Grease baking sheet. Bake in 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Allow a bit more baking time if rolled thicker.

If you can find Crawford's biscuits in Ireland, they still do an arrowroot biscuit, because I occasionally buy a packet!

Here's Mrs Beeton's arrowroot biscuit recipe, as revised by the Foody site

MRS BEETON'S RECEIPT

Arrowroot biscuits or Drops

1738. INGREDIENTS - 1/2 lb. of butter, 6 eggs, 1/2 lb. of flour, 6 oz. of arrowroot, 1/2 lb. of pounded loaf sugar.

Mode - Beat the butter to a cream; whisk the eggs to a strong froth, add them to the butter, stir in the flour a little at a time, and beat the mixture well. Break down all the lumps from the arrowroot, and add that with the sugar to the other ingredients. Mix all well together, drop the dough on a buttered tin, in pieces the size of a shilling, and bake the biscuits about 1/4 hour in a slow oven.

Sufficient to make from 3 to 4 dozen biscuits.

MODERN225g (8oz) Butter
225g (8oz) Flour
225g (8oz) Caster Sugar
170g (6oz) Arrowroot
6 Eggs

Beat the butter to a cream.
Whisk the eggs to a strong froth.
Add them to the butter, stir in the flour a little at a time and beat the mixture well.
Break down all the lumps from the arrowroot and add it with the sugar to the other ingredients.
Mix all well together, drop the dough on a buttered tin, in pieces the size of a shilling.
Bake the biscuits about 15 minutes in a slow oven. Time: 15 minutes.
Sufficient to make from 3 to 4 dozen biscuits.

Wow guys! Thank-you each so much! I wasn't honestly sure if anyone would have a recipe (silly me, you'd think by now I'd know to trust in the wonderful, helpfulness of everyone on DC!). Next trip to the little local organic store I will pick up some arrowroot flour (I hope they have it!) and start making these. My oven is very strange (I've ranted about it in other threads), but if I bake the cookies at a much lower temp than what's called for and watch them like a hawk I should be ok! LOL, now the question becomes which recipe to start with? :)

1/2 lb. of pounded loaf sugar
Ish, is this just caster sugar or granulated sugar?

Ishbel said:
I think the modern equivalent is caster sugar :)
Thanks Ishbel :) I like to use caster sugar for most cookies. With few exceptions you usually don't want to sense a grainy sort of sugary taste (I'd say the exception for me is ginger-snap cookies). Thanks for confirming that it was in fact caster sugar :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom