ISO Breakfast Cookies / Granola Bar Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
Hello All ... Now that school is about to start up again (and I will return to eating in my car - yes, while driving), I'm looking for a few good breakfast recipes that can be hand held. What comes to mind are breakfast cookies and / or granola bars. I have a great granola recipe but it comes out as crumbly, top your yogurt stuff and I haven't quite figured out how to form them into bars (I tried baking it squished into a 9x9 pan, turning it out and cutting it but it didn't work). In searching this great place for exsisting recipes, I found Crewsk's post from 2004 but am wondering what new ideas people might have (her's looks delicious but I'd like more than one option).

Anyone ??

Thank you!!

I'm afraid I have not tried this recipe, but it's one I have had earmarked for a while now to do...:rolleyes: guess it's about time to try!! Hope this will sound good to you also.

Blueberry Granola Bars

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease a 9 × 9-inch square baking pan. In a medium saucepan combine honey, brown sugar, oil and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes; do not stir.

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats and blueberries. Stir in honey mixture until thoroughly blended. Spread into prepared pan, gently pressing mixture flat. Bake until lightly browned, about 40 minutes.

Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 1 1/2 × 3-inch bars.

Yield:
"18 bars"

This isn't exactly a breakfast bar but more of a trail bar, the dates make it very easy to eat. They hold together very well and would be easy to eat in the car. This recipe makes a lot!! so I cut and freeze them right off the bat and remove them as needed.

Hinkelsteins or Oat Sticks

Preheat oven to 375*

Combine in a large bowl:

3 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups oat flour (blenderized oatmeal)
1/2 cup soy flour
2 t. salt
2 cups chopped dates
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecan meal)

Stir thoroughly, making sure the dates are coated with flour mixture.
Add:

1/2 cup oil
5 T. maple syrup
1 1/8 cup milk

Mix well. Divide into two greased 10"x15" jelly roll pans. Pat firmly and evenly. Cut into 1"x3" pieces with a pizza cutter. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Remove sticks around the edges if they brown before the center is done.

They are very tasty!!

Thank you all for your replies!
crewsk ... I have yours first on my list to try as my honey thinks the bacon sounds especially good in a cookie!

beth ... do you freeze before you bake, then bake off what you need? Soy upsets my stomach and system in general, can I use extra oat flour?

pa ... I like most of what I get out of Cooking Light and often pilfer my mom's copy - I'll let you know how these turn out.

cjs ... do you think dried blueberries would work?

Thank you all again! I appreciate your help!

Regarding the oat sticks: I cut, bake, cool, freeze, they are ready to eat right from the freezer. Yes, you could leave out the soy flour and sub 1/2 cup of any flour. I am sure the soy was included to make it a hearty food for the trail.

Back
Top Bottom