ISO cookie recipe that will shut up the church ladies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually LEFSE, the retreat was this past weekend and SK was going to report back when he heard, which would be this week.

Hey Everybody-I've been sick for the past couple of days, sorry for the delay. (NO-it wasn't the cookies:LOL:)

My cookies went over BIG TIME-and I thank each and every one of you for taking the time to post your recipes. Obviously, I could'nt make them all. They asked for 2 dozen, I brought close to 9 dozen, and mine were all gone by the middle of Saturday afternoon.

Seeing mine among the "slice n' bakes" and store bought cookies hastily arranged on paper plates made me feel pretty good-and seeing the church ladies stuffing mine into their faces made me feel even better!!

Obviously, space is limited, but I do want to sincerely thank everyone for their support and inspiration, and a special thanks to GRK from whom I learned HOW to make a proper chocolate chip cookie. I will say this much, if you ever see "Ghetto Racing Kid" cookies in the store, buy them!!

Thanks everybody-I think I (with your help) opened some eyes and some minds!!!:LOL:

thanks SK, Im truly touched by your post.

Your a great person and Im just glad you shut up those church ladies. I cant wait till next time when they beg you to make cookies or something else again.

Maybe one day Ill have something in the store, a store of my own or jsut a cookbook.

French Oatmeal and Coconut Bars

3 cups boiling water
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup margarine
2 cups brown sugar (Dark)
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 2/3 cups flour
2 tsp soda

Pour boiling water over oat meal and let stand 20 minutes—Add remainder and stir well. Pour into a greased @ floured 2 inch hotel pan. Bake 350*F 30 minutes.
Make frosting while cake is baking and frost while HOT

Frosting

3/4. Cup margarine
1 cup evaporated milk
1. 1/2. Cups cane sugar
10 ounces coconut flakes
1 cup pecan chopped
2 tsp soda

Bring milk, margarine, sugar to a boil. Remove immediately and add coconut and pecans.
Stir well spread over cake while still hot. Raise oven tem. To 500*F and brown off coconut.
This is very rich. Cut and serve when cold.

This recipe is over 65 years old originally from Bishops cafeteria in Waterloo Iowa

Complements of Chef David Hutchins retired

I garuntee this will knock there suport stockings off

If you do not have a 2 inch hotel pan use 2 quarter sheet pans

SK, WTG! Nothing like showing some stuffy busybodies what someone with the drive, desire, and ability to produce good food can do!

Smoke King - Congradulations to you. I am glad to hear (read) that you made such a good showing.

I get a steady stream of "man bashing" e-Mail that my reiends find funny. I have been told that I am less masculine because I cook, like to cook. The payoff is always at the table. The smiles and clean plates are their own reward.

Not to mention all the great people here at DC.

I am so glad to see you succed and hopefully open some minds.

I find it very funny and ironic at the same time that the "outside world" will look at a man differently if he cooks or will doubt his abilities. And yet in the culinary world's "inner circle" it is us females who have a harder time proving ourselves capable... Very sad in deed. That right there should be proof positive that everyone is equal in the kitchen whether male, female, pro or home cook. It is the passion inside that counts!

French Oatmeal and Coconut Bars

3 cups boiling water
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup margarine
2 cups brown sugar (Dark)
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 2/3 cups flour
2 tsp soda

Pour boiling water over oat meal and let stand 20 minutes—Add remainder and stir well. Pour into a greased @ floured 2 inch hotel pan. Bake 350*F 30 minutes.
Make frosting while cake is baking and frost while HOT

Frosting

3/4. Cup margarine
1 cup evaporated milk
1. 1/2. Cups cane sugar
10 ounces coconut flakes
1 cup pecan chopped
2 tsp soda

Bring milk, margarine, sugar to a boil. Remove immediately and add coconut and pecans.
Stir well spread over cake while still hot. Raise oven tem. To 500*F and brown off coconut.
This is very rich. Cut and serve when cold.

This recipe is over 65 years old originally from Bishops cafeteria in Waterloo Iowa

Complements of Chef David Hutchins retired

I garuntee this will knock there suport stockings off

If you do not have a 2 inch hotel pan use 2 quarter sheet pans

Sounds wonderful, thank you for sharing, definately will be trying these soon!!:chef:

I am vindicated!!

The church is having another retreat next weekend, and this time, they came to me for cookies!!

Victory is mine!!:LOL::clap::ROFLMAO:

I am vindicated!!

The church is having another retreat next weekend, and this time, they came to me for cookies!!

Victory is mine!!:LOL::clap::ROFLMAO:

Congratulations, SK. It's an honor and blessing to contribute one's talent to the spiritual growth of the retreatants. Stay humble.

Joe

Smoke King, vindication is sweet, isn't it?

However, I wouldn't rest on my laurels. Wow them again! Different cookies, different presentations!

Thanks everyone - Couldn't have done it without you! (does it sound like an awards show?)

As far as whats next, I'm still pondering. LPBier mentioned a Pumpkin/Choc chip cookie to me, so I googled that recipe, and it seems fitting for the season, and it sounds really good.

I do want to step out of my "comfort zone" a little, but then I realize that theres a reason Toll-house cookies have stood the test of time (that is to say properly made toll house cookies-thanks GRK;))

So I'm not exactly sure just yet. Going to be 50 degrees tomorrow, so Mrs says I have to finish the Christmas Lights and caulk the windows :(

So I'll think it through while performing these menial chores, shop on Wednesday and bake on Thursday. Oh, and report back on Friday!:LOL:
Thanks everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom