ISO Molasses Cookie Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
My mom had a set of old green cookbooks that had a recipe called "Three in One Cookies." It used a basic dough, then you could do different things with it. One was a molasses cookie (actually I guess they were all molasses cookies--I think the difference was what you rolled it in before baking). It may have had ginger in it??? You form it into a ball and roll it in sugar before baking (like you do with Snickerdoodles, in sugar and cinnamon) and they get a crinkly top. I have to make six dozen cookies for a cookie exchange and would like to make something as close to that recipe as possible. If anyone has one they would be willing to share, please PM me with it (or post here if there isn't a copyright issue). Thank you in advance!

:) Barbara

Thanks 2belucile! This won't work for this particular cookie exchange, since one of the rules is that the main ingredient has to be flour, but I will save this for another time. I appreciate your help!

:)Barbara

P.S. to my first post: I am not necessarily looking for a cookie recipe that I can make different ways (although that is fine too). The recipe my mom had could be done three ways (I think one was rolled in orange zest), but I am only interested in the one that is rolled in sugar.

:)Barbara

Just saw the most amazing looking molasses cookies on a mag today at Barnes&Noble. I will check the mag tomorrow and get you the recipe.

Here's a couple I have. The "Sharon's Molasses Sugar Cookies" are from my MIL.

Molasses Cookies
Yields: ~ 4 dz cookies

This formulation results in a thick batter. I recommend chilling the batter for several hours before baking the cookies. The resulting cookies have a cake-like texture, and will stick to each other when placed in an airtight container.

1 c molasses
1 c sugar
1 c hot water
2 t baking soda
¾ c (12 T, 1 ½ sticks) melted butter
5 c flour
½ t cinnamon
¼ t nutmeg
2 unbeaten eggs

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix together the molasses and sugar. Dissolve the baking soda into the hot water, and add to the sugar mixture along with the melted butter. Add the eggs. Sift the flour with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Add flour to the mix. You may add more flour if needed. Chill the batter for several hours. Drop by tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F until done, 12 minutes.

Sharon’s Molasses Sugar Cookies
Yields: approximately 2 dz

¾ c shortening
1 c sugar
¼ c molasses
1 egg
2 c flour
2 t baking soda
½ t ground cloves
½ t ginger
1 t cinnamon
½ t salt
granulated sugar for rolling

Melt the shortening in a 3 – 4 qt saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat, and let cool. Add the sugar, molasses, and egg; beat well. Sift together flour, soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and salt; add to first mixture. Mix well, then chill. Form into 1” balls (or portion with a #40 scoop). Roll in granulated sugar and place on a greased cookie sheet two inches apart. Bake in a moderately hot oven, 375°F for 8 - 10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom