ISO Schroeder's Bakery Anise Holiday Cookies Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktrapp

Assistant Cook
Hi there- this is my first post!
I grew up in Buffalo and moved away a few years ago. My mom used to go to Schroeder's Bakery and buy these cookies. Our family loves them. The bakery is now closed; Tops used to have them too. I have been searching for the recipe ever since. Anyone know this cookie? They were pale, like cut-outs, with pastel icing. They could even be just cut-outs with a bit of anise oil- not sure. I would love some thoughts on it. Thank you!

I have an italian cookie recipe that has anise in the icing...but they are not cut out cookies. These are shaped into S shapes.. They are thick and soft, almost cake like in consistency. Could this be what you are looking for?

I have an italian cookie recipe that has anise in the icing...but they are not cut out cookies. These are shaped into S shapes.. They are thick and soft, almost cake like in consistency. Could this be what you are looking for?

Vera, we make a very similar cookie - ours our tied in knots - cake like, but I put anise in dough and icing - would love to compare recipes.

I have a recipe that sounds like Michelemarie's. The anise is in the dough.

getting closer!

Thanks for the replies guys!
Well, they weren't 's' shaped or in knots, but I guess that doesn't matter. They were soft and cake-like, so maybe you're on to something. Would love the recipes. I do think the anise was in both the dough and icing- maybe if I combine they will be close. Thanks!

We don't always make any special shape. For me, sometimes it's just a ball shape.

Italian Anisette Cookies

1C butter
1C sugar
4t baking powder
1T vanilla
2 eggs
4C all purpose flour

Anise Icing
Coloured sugar

Method
Heat oven to 350. Beat butter in a large mixing bowl on medium high for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer, add the rest by hand.
Break off pieces of dough the size of walnuts, about 1 1/4 inch diameter. Roll each piece into a 4 inch rope, then shape into an S on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes till golden brown. Transfer to wire racks. Spread with anise icing while warm, but not hot. Sprinkle with coloured sugar. Makes about 54.

Anise Icing: 2C 10x, 2T milk, 1t anise extract. Blend well.

To store: Place in layers seperated by waxed paper or parchment. Keep them airtight.

I will occasionally tint the icing with a scant drop of red food colouring. I also use a very coarse, multi-coloured sugar for sprinkling the icing.

Italian Anise Cookies
1 small yellow cake mix or ½ normal size cake mix
8 cups of flour
6 eggs
½ lb. Butter
4 T baking powder
1 c sugar
1 c milk
1 bottle anise

Preheat oven to 350
Mix eggs, butter, sugar and anise together
Add dry ingredients
Add milk and knead until shiny
Let stand 30 minutes
Roll out a small portion into a ½ diameter rope and approximately 2” long, tie in a knot like a pretzel
Bake until slightly brown, approximately 10-14 minutes
Cool slightly before frosting

Frosting:
1-1/2 boxes powder sugar
½ bottle anise (or more, I say)
Enough water or milk for thick consistency

Dip cookies and sprinkle with little ball candies
(sometimes I dip, let dry and dip again then sprinkle candies, I love the frosting!)

My parents owned Schroder's Bakery in Chicago on Lincoln. Is that the place you were talking about ? If so I can ask my sisters if they have it.

My parents owned Schroder's Bakery in Chicago on Lincoln. Is that the place you were talking about ? If so I can ask my sisters if they have it.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

The original post was written in 2007, so I doubt the poster will see your response. It's nice of you to offer, though :)

If you like cooking, stick around and join in!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom