Lemon Shortbread Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Here you go Andy!

1 cup butter
1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
zest of one lemon

Either work the dough with your hands or pulse in the food processor until ingredients are combined.

You can use a cookie press with this dough, or you can make 1/2 inch diameter logs (about 2 inch) and bake those. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 325. They should be JUST a bit golden around the edges, be careful not to overbrown them.

Some folks prefer to dip the ends in melted chocolate, but I like to make a lemon glaze or leave them au naturel.

Lemon Glaze

2 tbsps lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar

Stir sugar into juice until it is a thick, goopy glaze. Add more lemon juice if necessary to thin. Brush onto warm cookies with a pastry brush.

They're coming out of the oven right now. Smelling yummy! I did 1/2 cup brown sugar and more like 2-3 tbsps of juice. I figured I didn't want to glaze them so used all the lemon juice from the lemon for the cookies.

Mmmm I may have to buy a lemon when I do the shopping this weekend. C&P!

I just took a batch out of the oven and they are delicious as expected.

I used more lemon juice as you suggested in your follow-up post (3 Tb because that's how much I got out of the lemon I zested) and 3/4 C sugar.

I did not glaze or dip them. That would be nice but is absolutely not necessary.

I ended up rolling the dough into walnut-sized balls and pressing them flat on the cookie sheet with a spatula. worked great.

I got 25 cookies.

You guys are making my mouth water, I am a lemon freak, guess what I am going to bake first thing in the morning.

What about straight up Shortbread, my mother-in-law is a big fan, I have not found exactly the "right" recipe, any help.....

Basic shortbread is pretty simple.

2 cups butter
1 cup sugar (usually icing sugar for traditional stuff)
4 cups flour

That's the basic dough. You can pat this into a pan, put it through a cookie press, roll it into a log and cut it...pretty much do whatever you like with it to shape it.

Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes. Don't let it get too golden, just a bit around the edges.

I was just chatting with my younger daughter. Told her about these lemon shortbread cookies and a tequila lime marinade I used for pork kebobs. She thought they both sounded good but suggested tequila lime shortbread cookies as a switch. I think I'll give that a try.

LOL! Great minds must think alike--I was wondering if I could make these into "margarita" lime shortbreads...can't do it today, I have a deadline, but maybe by Sunday!

Here you go Andy!

1 cup butter
1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
zest of one lemon

Either work the dough with your hands or pulse in the food processor until ingredients are combined.

You can use a cookie press with this dough, or you can make 1/2 inch diameter logs (about 2 inch) and bake those. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 325. They should be JUST a bit golden around the edges, be careful not to overbrown them.

Some folks prefer to dip the ends in melted chocolate, but I like to make a lemon glaze or leave them au naturel.

Lemon Glaze

2 tbsps lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar

Stir sugar into juice until it is a thick, goopy glaze. Add more lemon juice if necessary to thin. Brush onto warm cookies with a pastry brush.

Thanks for the inspiration. I used the FP to make the dough.

I don't even want to bake these--I just want to eat the dough.

I made some changes to suit my taste:

! zested two limes. I added some freshly ground pepper and freshly ground sea salt to the zest.

Meanwhile, I creamed the butter with 3/4 c white sugar (I couldn't find where the DH put the other sugars while I was in MN)

I had the juice of 2-1/2 limes
1-1/2 tsp gold Tequilla
3 T triple sec extract (finally, I get to use some of that extract)
2-1/2 c unbleached flour

The dough is chilling in the fridge. My plan is to brush it with FRESH egg white (to which I'll add about 1-2 tsp water) and sprinkle with some coarse salt (I plan on using pretzel salt), I'll follow the instructions re: baking and temp. But, the dough is "soft" and I am tempted to eat just the dough! I'm calling these Margarita shortbread cookies. Do I get to call these cookies something other than Lemon Shortbread (inspiration from that recipe) or do I have to call them Lemon Shortbread Cookies--Not?

I best go wash my hands.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/margarita-shortbread-cookies-75082.html#post1054149

Last edited by a moderator:
These cookies sounds so delicious! Will for sure be trying these first chance I get!

I was just responding to another thread and thought of these. If I have some time after my haircut today I'm going to make a batch of these. I might do limes though as I have about 4 that need to get used up.

These lemon cookies are the ones my grandson and I made in this photo:

1591-albums817-picture4482.jpg

Back
Top Bottom