Looking for a soft Gingerbread men cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe cornbread? I've been looking for one of those cast iron corn cob molds but no luck so far.

You might try looking at a large sporting goods store. They often have large cast iron cookware departments. You might also try looking at hardware stores. It can be amazing what you find there. That's where I usually go if I am looking for canning supplies.

I find that rolling them out on powdered sugar instead of flour works very well and there is no extra flour taste.

I never thought of that!! I did make the recipe, and they turned out good. We ended up adding quite a bit more flour. If I make them again, I'll try the powdered sugar. Thanks for the hint.

One more thing - I also made Martha Stewarts sugar cookie recipe, but rolled the dough between two sheets of parchment. Voila!! Very little sticking, and not much added flour.

Got mine in the fridge right now, waiting for a few moments before we roll them out and cut them. We're all a bit bushed today. I don't think we will decorate them as beautifully as some of you, but I'll sure enjoy the eating part!

I never thought of that!!...If I make them again, I'll try the powdered sugar. Thanks for the hint...
One more thing - I also...rolled the dough between two sheets of parchment. Voila!! Very little sticking, and not much added flour.
Great idea, Drowsy. I just bought parchment paper for the first time in my life and look forward to trying your idea...thanks :flowers:

Yaaaay~! Now I can make gingerbread holiday shape cookies for my friend's Christmas party! c:

Now, for the hard part: Rooting through my whole house just to find my container of cookie cutters, hee hee. ;p

I always keep a slice of white bread in with my gingerbread men. It helps keep them soft. Just replace the bread as it dries out.

+1

We make lebkuchen which comes out of the oven rock hard and needs the bread to soften them up. They are soft and chewy when ready to eat but it takes several days for them to soften.

That second recipe is a good one. I always roll out my dough right on the cookie sheet. If your pan has sides, then turn the cookie sheet over and use the back. Once you cut out your shapes, you can remove the surplus dough surrounding your cutouts with a table knife. There are some cookie recipes where it is difficult to transfer the cut out shape to the pan.

You can also roll out your dough right on a large sheet of parchment paper and do the same. Then transfer the whole sheet to you cookie sheet. :angel:

Yaaaay~! Now I can make gingerbread holiday shape cookies for my friend's Christmas party! c:

Now, for the hard part: Rooting through my whole house just to find my container of cookie cutters, hee hee. ;p

I have three sizes of gingerbread men and women. I use royal frosting to decorate them. I know it is more work, but the look so pretty. I use the big ones to hang on the tree. Just poke a hole at the top for the string to go through. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom