Looking for the Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I need a recipe for a particular cookie but I don't know the name. It's a bar cookie. The bottom is some kind of cookie crust or graham cracker crust. It uses sweetened condensed milk, coconut, and chocolate chips and possibly nuts. All of that is mixed together and spread on top of the crust then it's baked. I'm not sure if the crust is baked first or not. Does anyone know which recipe I am looking for?

Maybe "Magic cookie bars"

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
Directions
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees for glass dish). Coat 13x9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
2.Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with a fork.
3.Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store covered at room temperature.

Bolas, thanks, that looks like a great recipe but I think that medtran is more on my track. But I am definately going to try those Millionaire shortbread cookies. I adore shorbread!
Thanks Medtran. I think this is what I am looking for.

You're welcome. I hope that is the right recipe. It's one I'll never forget. My mother LOVED those things and made them a lot when I was a kid and every time you'd go to a church dinner or some other social gathering, there they'd be cause somebody would bring them since they are so easy to make. Can you tell it was kind of overkill for me?

My recipe is similar to medtran's but is a bit different. We called it Rocky Road.

1 stick butter or margarine
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
1 pkg chocolate chips
1 pkg butterscotch chips
1 cup coconut
1 cup pecan pieces (you want to roughly chop the pecans, not leave them whole but not make them too small either)
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Melt butter and pour in 9x13 baking dish
add graham cracker crumbs and form a crust in the bottom of pan
Layer in order choc. chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and pecans
Drizzle can of milk over top

bake 350° for 30 mins. Let cool 10-15 mins and cut into squares while still a bit warm. Leave in pan until completely cool.

This is the easiest thing to make. I haven't made it in a while so now when I go to the store tomorrow I'll have to pick up the stuff to make this!

Last edited:
In my area they are called Hello Dollys or Santa Snacks. My mother made a variation where she left out the chocolate and butterscotch chips. She replaced them with candied fruit, cheries and pineapple. I did not appreciate those as a kid but, now I make them both at holiday time.

Yes, there are lots of variations of this recipe. I remember someone making them with Andes mints and they were heavenly. I just pulled medtrans recipe out of the oven. Can't wait for them to cool. But they are supposed to be for a piano recital for a young man at our church. He is an absolute wizard on the piano and his folks are having some really tough times just now so of course everyone wants to pitch in to help. I'm sure they will appreciate this classic recipe. Thanks everyone.

Bolas, thanks, that looks like a great recipe but I think that medtran is more on my track. But I am definately going to try those Millionaire shortbread cookies. I adore shorbread!
Thanks Medtran. I think this is what I am looking for.
Joe mate I will give Meds recipe a go when i'm allowed.:)

Bolas, do try them when you are allowed but be sure there are lots of other folks around to help you finish them off...it's awfully hard to stop at just one, especially since they are so blasted easy to make!

It's only a little bit of butter... and you have been good.. go on.. you can do it. We won't tell. :devilish:
Not likely I am to scared of my wife:ohmy:
Ps Z mine is bigger than yours padeswood 034.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom