Macaroon Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotcocoa310

Assistant Cook
I've been trying to find a recipe for Macaroons and I am consistently finding two different recipes. One calls for Condensed Sweetened Milk the other Egg whites. I tried the one with the Condensed Milk and it all melted out of shape and left the coconut falling apart and a gooey mess of condensed milk….will I have more success with the recipe with the egg whites? or am I doing something wrong? I wanted to then dip them half way in dark chocolate to make a nice presentation but the cookies did not form well enough to allow me to do that.

:) The condensed ones are a tricky one ,the egg white one holds together pretty good but you need to get an oven thermometer and check how hot your oven really is.Alot of ovens are off by 25-50 degrees so you may be baking in a too hot oven.Expect them to spread a little and let cool completley before you try to move them off cookie sheet.

I follow Ina Garten's recipe and she actually uses both the sweetened condensed milk along with 2 egg whites. I've had good luck with them every time I've made them - nice and firm on the bottom but still yummy soft in the center. They hold their shape nicely even when I've stacked them in tupperware (with waxed paper between layers).

Here's her recipe ... Recipes : Coconut Macaroons : Food Network

:) You can make them with whatever recipe then add some lemon zest or lemon zest and mini chocolate chips it really good.

Here is a very simple recipe and I always get rave reviews - no eggs or condensed milk:

Coconut Macaroons
1 pint pineapple or orange sherbet, softened
2 t almond extract
1 package white cake mix
6 cups flaked coconut

Mix first three ingredients
Add coconut and drop by spoonfuls 2” apart, cook for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. (I question the time on this recipe, I usually cook them longer - until they brown).

Ok, you've made me hungry! I'm running into the kitchen. Macaroons for dessert!

Hello, are you looking for this ?

1e48298373_tn.jpg
4970215b34_tn.jpg

I've made them this afternoon. The recipe doesn't call condensed milk just egg whites

Tell me and I'll translate the recipe :)

Back
Top Bottom